Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: must see areas of Arizona.

must see areas of Arizona.

Rob - check out www.americansouthwest.net, and click on your state of choice. More photo ops listed than could fill a lifetime of vacations.

The West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon is considered one of the most scenic trails in America; Well maybe in the spring when the leaves are out. The problem is, is that the AZ land is so much prettier in the spring then in winter, not that is is so much a slouch now, it's just nicer looking with some rain on it. I had just visited again in December and wasn't to enthralled because of the lack of rain which had been in short supply till I left in early January, and if that continues the spring flowers will probably not look as good this year. One place that I really enjoyed photographing tho is the Vulture gold mine out in Wichenburg, about a hour and a half west of Phoenix. Great buildings, machinery etc. Good place for B&W. check out http://www.jpc-training.com/vulture.htm

If you have time and have not been, the Grand Canyon is my favorite. Sedona is a must see, just for the experience. Overall the state is extremely photogenic, so sometimes it's just fun to jump in the car and go. Check out the local travel section at the Barnes and Noble and see what wets your appetite.

From Tucson, a note to anyone considering a trip to southern Arizona to photograph the wildflowers this spring: We're getting close to the end of the winter "rainy season," and we've gone over 100 days without measureable rain. The desert is looking pretty stressed, and it promises to be a flowerless spring.

So many places, I can't believe that you guys left out Monument Valley, The Goosenecks, Mexican Hat, UT, Page, Lake Powell, Coyote Buttes, the ruins at Waputki just NE of Flagstaff,
    Petrified Forest in Winslow in NE, AZ.
    The issue is pick a geographical area. from Phoenix to the Gand Canyon visitor's Center is 5 hours or so. If I had 3 days, I'd
    1) Do the ruins at Waputki not Walnut Canyon,
    2) Do Monumant Valley adn the Goosenecks. The scenery arounf Mexican Hat, UT is fantastic,
    3) Do Canyon De Chelley - BUT in early spring U will need to shoot mid-day
    4) Approach the Grand Canyon from the EAST thru Cameron, AZ. that way you can stop at the Watch Tower and several scenicpull-outs before you hit crowds at the South Rim.
    The sunrise and sunsets at the South Rim are just majic, color ot B&W

Add to the above: Hour or so east of Phoenix to Globe/Miami area for old mines, buildings, ruins, etc. Same south of Tucson to old Spanish mission named Tumacacori. Hour west of Phoenix for Eagle Tail, Hummingbird Springs and Big Horn wilderness areas - but those require good maps and 4-Wheel drive for access. Then you could just stay in the downtown Phoenix area and wander the alleys or talk to the homeless people - never can tell what you might find to photograph. Or, one hour north to the Agua Fria National Monument and old indian ruins - not as spectacular as Montezuma's Castle, Montezuma's Well or Tonto National Monument, but very original and a challenge to get to or find - along with lots of petrolglyphs in the same areas. Sedona has quite a few well publicized petroglyph areas, by the way, in addition to the stunning red rock vistas. Our LF class goes frequently to the Westfork area above Sedona. IF the weather is good, the Flagstaff area, around the east side of the San Francisco Peaks is great. Wander that area and you'll find Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monument (both already mentioned) and then only a few miles north you'll wander into the Navajo Indian Reservation - which provides a totally different type of vista. You could spend YEARS photographing here. Only two or three days? How sad ...