Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: must see areas of Arizona.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

must see areas of Arizona.

I might be able to combine a work trip with a few days off shooting in Arizona. I would be traveling in Feb. Is there 3 or 4 spots I should really try to get to?
    I plan to shoot b&w 8x10 landscape. Last year I had a chance to get to Zion and really enjoyed it, so I guess I'm looking for "the grand landscape"...... but am open to other suggestions. Including ruins.
    Sorry for sounding so ignorant of the area... but I've never been. I'll be flying into Phonex.

-Rob Skeoch

I'd highly suggest the western section of Saguro National Park in Tucson. It's not far from phoenix and the entire park is accessible and has good landscape possibilities. Sedona area is always a possibility and is about an hour and a half from phoenix. The Wupatki National Monument is just north of Flagstaff and is pretty famous for its ruins as well, about two and a half hours from phoenix. If you really felt like traveling, then about 5-6 hrs east of tucson is White Sands NM. There are plenty of places, you might want to pickup a copy of Arizona Highways as well.

The Grand Canyon, of course!

For ruins, you might want to try Walnut Canyon outside of Flagstaff (a great place for a heart attack if you're carrying an 8x10) Check the Natioinal Park website for info on Walnut Canyon.

South of Tucson you might like Bisbee, a replica of a Bavarian village that Phelps Dodge built to make the miners feel at home(in the middle of the desert) and, if you can get clearance to photograph there, the cantonment area at Ft Huachuca (very close to Tombstone.) Ft. Huachuca still has quite a few historically significant structures (I used to have an office in one of them).

Nogales has(had? Its been awhile since I was there in the early 80's) a very funky looking main street with railraod tracks that ran into Mexico, blocked by a rusty fence.

Theres also the Territorial Prison in Yuma, which I've never been to as a tourist (or inmate) but I understand it is something worth seeing.

IMHO you can go to just about anyplace in AZ and find something beautiful to photograph, except maybe in Payson.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Michael E. Gordon

It's not too late to get Laurent Martres' 'Photographing the Southwest, Vol 2'!
    http://phototripusa.com/

Jerome is fantastic! It is an old mining town turned artists' community North of Phoenix on the I-17. Tuzigoot National Monument is right outside Jerome. It is a cool Anasazi ruin. Montezuma's Castle is nearby too.

From there, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are a short drive. That is a very scenic (and often photographed) area.

The drive up 89a from Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff is really nice. From Flag, you can head North to the Grand Canyon, but don't miss Sunset Crater on the way. It is a really surreal landscape created by volcanos. Wupatki Ruins are nearby. The entire painted desert is a very nice place to shoot (where Sunset Crater and Wupatki are located).

Or, you could go East from Flag, and hit Walnut Canyon. It is a serious hike up and down, although it is on a paved walkway. Don't miss Route 66, where you can find yourself "standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona". Lots of Americana in Winslow.

Canyon DeChelley is not far from there, and if you go, the White House Ruins are worth the 1 mile hike down.

Hope this gives you some ideas. You may want to stay longer after seeing this awesome state.

For a 3 day trip, in my mind you have two main choices:

- Keep near the I-17/US 89 corridor, which includes Sedona, Jerome, Oak Creek Canyon, Montezuma's Castle, Tuzigoot, Walnut Canyon, and of course the Grand Canyon.

- Hustle out to the four corners area and cover Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley. Spectacular area, but will require some hard driving if you only have three days. I'd suggest spending an afternoon at Canyon de Chelly (White House ruin, Spider rock, Mummy Ruin if you have time), then a sunrise shoot at Monument Valley (the Totem Pole at sunrise is a good one). Teardrop arch at Monument Valley is another classic for late afternoon if you have time. You have to hire Navajo guides to photograph the really good stuff at Monument Valley; I was happy with Tom Phillips (www.monumentvalley.com/Pages/english_tours.html) who has also been recommended by Robert Hitchman (author of the Photograph America newsletters).

I heartily second the recommendation of Laurent Martres' Photographing the Southwest.

Doug Dolde

West Fork of Oak Creek Canyon...about 8 miles noth of Sedona on the way to Flagstaff. You don't have to hike very far to get to the good stuff.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

If you make it to the southwest part of the state, I'd recommend Organ Pipe Catus National Monument. The desert should be starting to bloom around then. Of course, all the sites all ready mentioned are world class photographic destinations, but one trip to Arizona (unless very long) would not be sufficient to see them all. Southern AZ will be quite a bit warmer than the northern part of the state, so if you're going to be in Phoenix, you might want to do Saguaro and Organ Pipe.
    Brian Vuillemenot

If you want to avoid having to deal with tripod holes in your photos just get a map and drive around. There is plenty to photograph out here wherever you go.

...the Minutemen near the border with their lawn chairs and binoculars would make an interesting project (: