Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: backpacking

backpacking

We drive to a campsite and from that point I backpack the speed graphic on day hikes. The filmholders, lenses and camera weigh around 20+ pounds. We don't hike fast-- we just go at our leisure. The water and snacks are in my wife's backpack!

backpacking

I backpack with my 4x5 kit. I go out for 3 to 5 nights. I have a lightweight Toho for backpacking (Arca for everything else). I take 3 lenses (80, 150 and 240) with a few boxes of Quickloads. Photo gear weighs about 18 pounds.

Nothing like getting out into the high country, with few people around and a camera to play with.

backpacking

I also backpack with my camera gear. This year is the first that I have not gone on an overnighter, but instead have just done day hikes. Usually I do car camping in NPs in those trips, and for the second summer in a row went to Iceland and stayed in campgrounds.

I did a couple Llama backpack workshops with Don Kirby in the four corners area - and that is really the way to go! Check out Don's web site for information. My wife and I rented a couple of Llamas from Buckhorn Llama company one year and went down a canyon for 6 days. The Llamas carry the camping gear and food, and you carry your camera gear and day food. My wife rides horses and loves animals so she was the Llama wrangler on the trip. We had a great time, and enjoyed the solitude and beauty of the landscape.

My gear goes in a Redwing backpack. A Linhof and 4-5 lenses (all small lenses except for the 58XL) which are protected in OR padded cells, readyloads, and 3L of water. For a tripod I use the Mountaineer 1349 with a mag head.

Mike
    www.mprosenberg.com

backpacking

I'm also curious how many people really backpack with their large format gear? The problem with this question is it does not address how far folks really travel with their load. Personally I can't imagine hiking 10 miles a day over rugged terrain for 5 days with a complete large format system. However, photographers such as Vern Clevenger and Claude Fiddler are known for long backcountry treks, as well as, some scary first assents. My new appoach to backpacking and photography is to load my equipment for mulitple short treks of 0ne to two nights where I try to get to high ridges or peaks.

blanco_y_negro

backpacking

I also carry my 4x5 gear in a backpack. The bag includes the camera, two lenses, a light meter and various odds and ends. Added to this are 4-6 holders usually. I carry my tripod wherever I go; it's a heavy Ries, but it's worth it. Overall, I carry close to 20 kg. of load, and mostly use my LF outside the city. After parking the car I walk and hike several miles on a day trip.

If I decide to use the equipment in the city, I choose out-of-the-way places and usually go early in the morning when most folks are still having their breakfast.

E.Z.