Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Color Film Sales

Kodak Color Film Sales

I just spent over an hour talking with the sales people at Kodak for both the chemical and color negative film dividions. Both people said that sales have dropped considerable from the predigital period, but sales have recently leveled off for both divisions and are still very profitable and on solid ground. They also noted that color negative sheet film has shown an notable increase in sales particularly with 8x10. I asked them if they thought color negative film would still be available in 5 to 6 years and they said, "easily and much more".

The film sales person said there will be no sudden production hault for color film like the B&W paper. What you will see is a consolidation of the number of color films made available before color film is finally terminated. He believed that will occur many years from now, if it occurs at all.

When I told them about the concerns on this bulletin board they both laughed. They said there is lots of humors going on out there, but the fact is color film is here to stay for a long time.

Kodak Color Film Sales

Good to hear, except that the films that will be consolidated will be the one I use most, like 400NC. As for the piling on of bad news, I expected some companies to fall by the wayside, so no big surprise. I'm gonna go buy some film...

Kodak Color Film Sales

One of the advantages of getting on in years is that, as far as I'm concerned, they need only last as long as I do.

Kodak Color Film Sales

Reassuring to hear that the sales people know better than the CEO. Perhaps we should start a sweepstake on who or what will last the longest. The salemen, the film or the CEO. Place your bets...

Terence

Kodak Color Film Sales

From a young age, I was taught one truism: Never believe a salesman.

Their interest is not your interest.

Kodak Color Film Sales

Good to hear. I think many of the users of medium and LF who have the money/requirements to go digital have already done so.

Dave Karp

Kodak Color Film Sales

Terence,

Not always true. In this case, it is in the salesperson's self interest to make sure that Kodak sells as much film as possible for as long as possible. The chances are strong that if Kodak drops film, they will drop the sales person too. If you want film, think of how badly that sales person wants you to want film. It is his/her livelihood. It is in his best interest to satisfy your needs, and make it hard for Kodak's CEO to drop film, if that is indeed an objective. In general, the modern, more enlightened salesperson is trying to create a repeat customer. This is only possible if they are working to meet your needs, not take advantage of you.

Other examples of trustworthy sales people abound, including Jim at MPEX, who has not led me astray in the several years that I have been dealing with him.

And, even though I don't use much color film, I hope that they are right about how long we will have film, for a variety of reasons.

Terence

Kodak Color Film Sales

Dave,
    I want to believe. I really do. But the MPEX's of the world are outnumbered by the less scrupulous. That's why folks like MPEX stand out. If the Kodak salesman stands out with high sales he'll be less likely to be fired during a downsizing. Kodak will always be selling something and will need salesmen/women to do this. When a CEO makes statements like Kodak's they are sending a message that shareholders will latch on to and at least try to hold him to if that's what they think is best for the company (and their stock value). Those of us using film are an increasing minority. Every night I walk through Times Square on my way home. I see very few film cameras still in use amongst the masses. Like it or not, the Sirens are singing and the masses listening.

Kodak Color Film Sales

"When I told them about the concerns on this bulletin board they both laughed. They said there is lots of humors going on out there, but the fact is color film is here to stay for a long time.

Unfortunately, the salesmen don't determine what stays in production, the CEO and the rest of the board steer the ship. Looking at the board of Kodak, I see a heck of a lot of computer industry types there (including the CEO), and not enough photography industry...

If I were a betting sort, my money would be on the Great Yellow Father being out of the film business within 5 years. As far as I'm concerned, that's OK as I don't use much of their stuff anymore, but there ARE a few things they make that I do like...

Kodak Color Film Sales

If tech. changes things so fast why can I still go into Best Buy and purchase Sony<apasonic and other manufacturers vcr and turntables. I thought that cdand dvd had killed all of this off. And by the way I know people still buying and shooting 8mm, 16mm, and 35mm movies and schools still teaching film class. I can still buy these films online also and maybe still from Kodak. I have not checked lately.

I have been in photography and consumer electronics for over twenty years and good salespeople will always put your needs first because that will make them the most money. I am so tired of all salespeople being labeled "usedcar" sales.