Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7" Film Holder Size

5x7" Film Holder Size

Hi,

for you it might seem a trivial (and possibly a stupid) question, but I want you to asure me that the external dimension of a standard (i.e. all the modern ones) 5x7" and 13x18cm film holders are the same.

Thanks a lot and sorry for such question...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

5x7" Film Holder Size

This is a quote from an article on this site:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/5x7.html

In Europe, both 5x7 and 13cmx18cm coexist and you can get both sizes (but metric is easier to find). The size of the film is different (5x7 is 12.7cm x 17.8cm and the difference is beyond the internal dimensional tolerance), therefore the holders are too, however, the exterior dimensions of the holders are the same so you don't have to modify the camera.

5x7" Film Holder Size

Thanks Ron, that's it. I was concerned about using both holders on the same camera and this sums it up well. Thanks again

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

5x7" Film Holder Size

Watch out: Riteway and Fidelity 5x7 holders do have different outside dimensions.

The Riteway holders are a triffle smaller than the Fidelity holders.
    It bothered me when building a new 5x7 back last year. I took a Riteway holder as template and the Fidelity holders did not even fit.

G

5x7" Film Holder Size

5x7" Film Holder Size

Thanks a lot Geert,

I'm contemplating building a 5x7"/13x18cm camera and being in Europe, the 13x18cm size would be more readily accessible. I will mainly shoot BW (money is an issue), but I might also sometimes want to shoot color (slide/negative) and some films are only available in 5x7 size. So I thought it would be wise to be sure they were interchangeable without any modification to the camera.

Thanks for the APUG thread also.

(Btw. I've almost finished a back for and old plate camera, Ica Ideal 325, to fit modern standard holders 4x5 and 9x12 [Fidelity], during the weekend or next week I should take my first ever sheet film photos. I have also prepared my bathroom [and my wife :-) ] for inspection developing... Please keep your fingers crossed for me...)

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

5x7" Film Holder Size

Hi Jiri,

(the name sound Czech to me)

I wish you lots of success with the homebuilt camera's! It's a big thrill when you'll see that the first negative shows no defects (focus, light leaks).

I'd advise you to test with paper negatives first.
    Put the camera outdoors in full sun - not that easy in winter -, loaded with a paper negative, with the darkslide out for 5 minutes and develop. It will save you on film.

If you get a bite of building your own camera's, you'll keep on improving for the next few years... I'm already on the 3rd variation in 6 months and it keeps on getting better.

G

5x7" Film Holder Size

Yeah Geert, I'm Czech. And yes it's fun building the camera, although so far it's not yelded any results. But the brain activity is refreshing by itself... If only the day had more hours to spare... :-)

I wonder, by a chance do you have some plans for your home-made cameras? Because I have only the old Ica which is not very good to base my further works on. I have seen the cameras like Shen-hao/Wista/Toyo and such only on pictures, though they are quite instructive. But my brother-in-law who has very good woodworking skills and some wood in his backyard wanted almost blueprints from me, precise dimensions and shapes to cut the wood to. And it's hard to prepare such plans based on some photos. Also the holder I have build so far is more of an ad hoc action, where I spend several days pondering my next action and when I think I have thought it through, I just take the wood and saw and do it. No plans. Just ideas

I'd be very glad if someone pointed me to some plans, I don't mind modifying them a bit. But I greatly prefer a field type camera (over a monorail), even considering the difficulties...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

5x7" Film Holder Size

Sorry Jiri,

I don't have plans and didn't make any, all is stored in my constantly degrading brain.

One day, when I might be pleased with a particular rebuild/rework of my camera, I might draw plans of it and I might publish them.
    Please mind the word might.

My camera, I call it the Cambara as it is made of Cambara wood, is inspired by various commercially available cameras.
    I did the wookworking myself, the brass stuff are furniture parts that I abused :-)

Here's an obsolete picture. The camera has been reworked since, especially the back standard attachement that has become a lot more stable.

G

5x7" Film Holder Size

Geert, it looks just plain wonderfull... And yes, this is something like I have in my mind...

Ok, I'll try to progress without the plans so far... :-)

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net