Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Currently Available Paper?

Currently Available Paper?

It was all so simple that 57 years ago a nine year old was able to carry out the straightforward procedure of contact printing his photographs. Today it seems to be unnecessarily complicated because of changes to papers.

Is it still possible to buy NEW papers with the following specifications?

Fibre Based Double Weight Paper
    Graded NOT Variable Contrast
    Chloride or Chlorobromide
    Capable of being toned using selenium and/or gold chloride toners
    11"x14"

Thank you.

RR

Re: Currently Available Paper?

Hi Rod,

Foma and Lodima both make chloride papers that fit the criteria you've outlined(Fomalux, Lodima), while Foma and Ilford also make graded chlorobromide papers(Fomabrom, Ilfobrom Gallerie).
    There may be others: Freestyle Photographic has a pretty good overview of what's currently available.

Regards,

Matt

Are you using a lightbulb or the sun to expose your contact prints? :-) What size are the negatives?

I know you want to use graded paper, but I'm kinda curious as to why you're against variable contrast paper. I think variable contrast paper has opened up new expressive possibilities in how we print.

For consistency I'm hoping to use a light bulb. The negatives are a mix of 8x10 and 6½x8½. They are developed using staining developers, intending that they should be printed on Grade 2.

RR

You remind me of my friend, an old time photographer who was a Pyro addict. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    For consistency I'm hoping to use a light bulb. The negatives are a mix of 8x10 and 6½x8½. They are developed using staining developers, intending that they should be printed on Grade 2.

RR
    Why would a light bulb give you consistency? The output of a light bulb will fluctuate with vriations in line voltage. If it is a tungsten bulb it will also fuctuate with burning time as the by products from the filament's burning are deposited on the inside of the globe which will then blacken with burning time. Quartz halogen won't do that.

So are you going to use a voltage stabilized power circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Why would a light bulb give you consistency? The output of a light bulb will fluctuate with vriations in line voltage. If it is a tungsten bulb it will also fuctuate with burning time as the by products from the filament's burning are deposited on the inside of the globe which will then blacken with burning time. Quartz halogen won't do that.

So are you going to use a voltage stabilized power circuit?
    Did you see the post by Larry that I was replying to? The context will help explain "consistency". Here in the UK the sun is not to be relied on as a consistent value light source. Our voltage is pretty stable as it comes from the power supply and the bulb will likely outlive me...

RR

I don't think it will be inconsistent enough to notice as I'll use test strips. Here in the UK the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    You remind me of my friend, an old time photographer who was a Pyro addict. :-)
    Ah! Guilty M'Lud...

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Ah! Guilty M'Lud...

RR
    I suppose you've found this link for Lodima (Amidol backwards) paper, but I'll post it nevertheless:

http://lodima.org/photographic-paper/

I almost went this route but the paper is quite expensive, and I don't shoot larger than 5x7, which can be nice for contact printing. There were some beautiful contact prints in the Paul Strand exhibit I saw in Philadelphia two weekends ago.

As for lightbulbs, well, it was good enough for Weston. For anyone who thinks Weston's negatives were perfect, there is a picture in one of the Darkroom books from Lustrum Press that shows Cole holding up two lightbulbs, a tiny one and a huge one.

My childhood baseball coach was Scottish. I can still hear his voice urging me on, with what I could only make out as: "Run, Luddy, run!"

Amazing prices. The shipping blows it out of the water...

RR