Thread: Bogen 3021/3030 sufficient for Canham 5x7?

Bogen 3021/3030 sufficient for Canham 5x7?

Hello everybody,

Was just wondering if any of you have used a Bogen 3021 legset and 3030 head with a Canham 5x7 wood field camera? I haven't had any problems with this setup so far but am wondering if it is ideal? My three lenses are Fuji 240A, Fuji 450C and Schneider 150mm Super Symmar HM.

Should I upgrade the head, legs or both? Have been considering the Bogen 3047 head but am afraid this might make the setup too top heavy? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Christian

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i find the 3021/3047 adequate for 4x5, but even with this format it's a compromise. it's what i grab when i need to walk a long way with the camera slung over my shoulder. normally, i prefer the solidity of something heavier.

I have a 3021/3047 set as well. I think the weak link for a camera the size/weight of the Canham 5x7 is the hex-plate quick-mount system of the 3047. I'm not wild about it even for a smaller camera. For my own 8x10 Phillips Compact, I ended up moving on to a Gitzo legset with low-profile 3-way head, no center column. It's pretty much the same weight as the 3021/3047, but much more robust.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

huh. i've always liked the hex plate. for large format, i get the kind that attaches permently to the camera, with set screws. never had one loosen or slip.

but yeah, i'd avoid using the center column on the 3021 for anything biggher than a 35mm camera.

Christian: I don't know the 3030 head, but used the 3021 legs with the 3047 for more than 10 years. The combination I used is perfectly adequate for the 5X7 Canham, and even heavier cameras. Is it ideal you ask? It is perfectly adequate and good value for the money. (The much more expensive CF tripods are lighter, tighter and sturdier.) I did generally keep the center column down if there was the slightest wind, but never found myself unable to do what needed to be done with your tripod. The legs are very versatile and easy to use. I have heard that in very cold conditions the plastic leg locks can break off but this never happened to me. I would order a spare handle for tightening the center column as these can come off in the car, when being carried, etc. This is a very cheap part from Monfrotto and saves hours of backtracking to try to find where the handle came off. Also, in time, the nuts can get loose which are used to adjust the tension on the leg knobs. I replaced the factory ones with nylon insert ones from the hardware store and never had another problem with those. There is a certain position of tension on those where the legs are tight when the knob is turned 90 degrees, but loose for quick take down when turned back. (That is what the white plastic thing is for which snaps on the legs.) Concerning the plate on the 3047, which I assume is the same as what you are using, the plate can false latch and snap over and appear locked if the bottom of the camera is inserted at an angle. So always make sure you got it in there right by giving the camera a tug before you take your hands off it to set it up. You didn't ask about it, but the mini geared head (Monfrotto) is terrific on these legs and I would go with that before getting another 3047. I think it is meaningfully lighter, but more expensive. It is easier to carry and pack without those knobs sticking out.

I have used a 3021 with a 3725 410 Compact Head for several years, for several 4x5's, a 5x7 Kodak No. 2, and even for my Shen Hao 8x10... and it was plenty stable and useable, even when pointed in rather extreme angles. I really like that head.

Christian: As you can see, the plate is different on the geared head, I never had a false latching problem with the plate on the geared head.

I've experienced the false-latching problem with hex plates on the 3047 head, as described by Kevin. Most recently a couple of weeks ago, when I used it for the first time after a long break and plumb forgot about double-checking for that. Fortunately, I've never had anything fall and break as a result, but there have been a few close calls.

Also, I've had a leg lock break a couple of times on my 3047. Again, fortunately, no catastrophes as a result. They're user-replaceable, and I was able to get the necessary parts quickly and inexpensively from Bogen. Also agree with Kevin, getting the tension adjusted right on the locks is important.

I've used a 3021/3o3o combination for several years, with a 4x5 field camera and a monorail. It's adequate but not what I'd call "beefy" for the monorail. It might work OK for 5x7 if your camera is reasonably well balanced and if you don't expect much when the wind blows.