Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: film is gone

film is gone

Film is gone

middle of answer 2. Its official!

film is gone

Can hardly wait to have that camera in my eyeglass frames...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

film is gone

or mounted in my horseless carriage.

film is gone

As CEO of Kodak, Mr. Perez' statements via the link have really encouraged me to look elsewhere for materials, choosing other manufacturers over Old Yellow.

I wonder if that was what Mr. Perez intended?

I mean, why mess with buying materials (rather costly materials at that) when the CEO of the factory has dismissed them as 'dead' implying that his company is taking a hike off the playing field?

Too bad!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

film is gone

Rob: Please put these comments into a reasonable perspective.

An author is quoting the Kodak CEO on a blog within an electronic media journal. Come on! All it proves to me is that an executive in promoting his companies marketing plan will say anything to a journalist as long as it not illegal (immoral is another subject).

I have been told within the last week by key people within Kodak that their internal predictions for the annual drop in net B&W sheet film sales have proven to be false. In laymen terms - Kodak has sold more B&W sheet film in the last year than they anticipated - and that IS A VERY GOOD THING FOR LF SHOOTERS.

All we can do is continue to do what we do best - continue to consume your favorite sheet film and all will be very well!

Reality Check- We have more options for sheet film in every size imaginable as we speak than I can remember.

Everyone please reach for your checkbook and take the risk out of this equation. Sitting in front of a computer screen worrying will not solve anything.

Cheers!

film is gone

To counteract such innaccurate pronouncements View Camera just did an article in our Jan /Feb 06 issue showing ALL the sheet films that are available. There is a greater variety of films avaiable than any of us will ever use.

Relax.

steve simmons www.viewcamera.com

film is gone

"Please put these comments into a reasonable perspective"

OK we'll do that. The extract in the blog was taken from an interview in The New York Times. I went to the New York Times web site and went through the free sign up procedure to check that what I was reading in the blog was correct. It was. I posted the link to the blog because it doesn't require registration and login to read the extract. For those that want the full interview then they can follow the link in the blog to the New York Times, register, which is free, and get the full interview.

If the CEO of Kodak tells the New York Times that "Film is gone" then who am I to argue.

Michael look at this way. If you are worried about the current offering of ULF film then personally I would be looking to make sure I get a supply of my favourite film before it disappears. It depends on your viewpoint but I am only the messenger here not the sender.

film is gone

"Reality Check- We have more options for sheet film in every size imaginable as we speak than I can remember. "

Great! So now I just have to decide between Super XX, Verichrome, Ektapan, Technical Pan, Panatomic X, Royal Pan, Royal Pan X, or High Speed Infrared. Hmmm, I wonder which would print better on Azo...

film is gone

Yes, some films have disappeared. But there are new ones being introduced and/or brought into the US mareket and overseas as well.

Again, there are more films currently available than any of us will ever use.

steve simmons

film is gone

>>Yes, some films have disappeared. But there are new ones being introduced and/or brought into the US mareket and overseas as well.

Again, there are more films currently available than any of us will ever use.

steve simmons<<

Yes. But not by Kodak. And that's the whole point isn't it?

Unfortunate that the Kodak CEO makes such a statement just as some of us are pondering the purchase of ULF TMY. Looks like this will probably be the last chance to get that film in ULF and 5x7 sizes after all.

That's a shame.