Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CLA - Flutot's vs SK Grimes????

CLA - Flutot's vs SK Grimes????

For CLA's of classic lenes like Synchro Comp Shutter type, is it best to go to Flutot's or SK Grimes? I notice a significant price difference for repair services.

They are both completely competent and friendly shops; you won't find many complaints about the quality of either. That said, SK Grimes is more expensive and has of been quite slow of late.

I'd kind of lean toward Grimes for old air-braked Compound shutters since they've done such a fine job on them in the past (even after Mr. Grimes passed away) and that's a bit more of a specialty than other leaf shutters, but otherwise they both have a fair number of satisfied customers. Also consider Frank Marshman, particularly for Ilex shutters, because I think he has a store of parts, but he handles all of them just as well.

Grimes is just too spendy.

Hugh,

Carol, I think her name was, at Flutot's gave excellent service and got the best out of an ancient Ilex I sent her around 6 month ago. She responded to my emails to her and answered all my questions. Good turnaround, too, as I recall.

Don't forget Paul Ebel as well ....equally as good as SKG and Flutot .... Steve was a dear friend and all my work went there before he passed away ... now I use Ebel as well, less expensive often faster, equally knowledgable as the staff at SKG. Paul was recommended to me by Jim at Midwest .. I believe he does all the cleaning and repair work for them.

I like Grimes and have used them for a variety of things and would highly recommend them for any repair or anything that requires machining. But for a plain old CLA I'd probably go elsewhere, I don't think you need the Grimes expertise (and cost) for something like that.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I've only used Carol Flutat but I found her service and communication excellent. I'd send another lens there again without hesitation.

Cheers, James

Bob Watkins at http://www.precisioncameraworks.com is also a good large format camera and lens service person (he doesn't do wooden cameras though.) He used to work for Sinar and now does Arca's North American service. But he works on all the brands.

I have used both SK Grimes and Carol at Flutot's. Whenever I need something like a lens board adapter I will use Grimes, but for a CLA there is nobody better than Carol. She is competent, friendly and communicates really well. On top of that you just can't beat the price!
    Juergen
    Juergen