Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slosher vs jobo

slosher vs jobo

I see on a great many postings that Jobo is apparently the way to go for film processing. Also, on e-bay, I see that Jobo is selling for between $600 and $700. All of you using the Jobo are using it for either color film or printing I assume. A little while back I obtained a 'slosher' which answers all my needs of 4X5 processing; easy and fast to load, very consistent agitation, no finger marks, scratches etc., no hands/fingers in the developer (only an occasional splash).

My question is, what accounts for the popularity of the Jobo. Color would seem to be the answer, but many/most seem to be doing B&W.

slosher vs jobo

I have a Jobo 3010 that I hand roll on the $20 Jobo roller-base. I only do b/w. The benefits for me are: less chemistry, consistent even development, daylight development, easy to load and process. You can find them used on ebay for agood price.

slosher vs jobo

I use a Jobo tank on a Unicolor motor. The motor is plugged into a Gralab 300 timer. Between my film and print tanks the setup handles

35mm
    120/220
    4x5
    5x7
    8x10

Plus paper
    5x7 to 16x20.

The only added cost for 4x5 was the added 4x5 reels. Personally I like the fact it's a daylight system. The fact the same setup does so many things is a bonus.

Colour and B&W.

Scott Davis

slosher vs jobo

I recently got a Jobo CPA2 processor, plus a 3010 drum. I use it for developing b/w film. I like it for the same reasons mentioned above, about the reduced chemistry use and the daylight operation. I also like it because it provides completely even temperature for my film, and even agitation. The CPA has a water bath with temperature control unit that helps keep the film and chemistry at a consistent temperature. Now that I have one, I don't know how I managed without it.

slosher vs jobo

The reason I like it is that with my 2551 tank I can develop up to 12 sheets of 4x5 at once and with the 2521 tank I can develop a single sheet (up to 6) using the same volume of chemicals that I would use in 5x7 trays.

slosher vs jobo

All of you using the Jobo are using it for either color film or printing I assume.

You assume wrongly. I'm using a CPP-2 to process 5x4 Tri-x in XTOL 1:3 in a 3010 tank. I never do color. I never do prints.

I use the Jobo equipment because I get excellent results each and every time. The temperature controller is rock solid, agitation is utterly consistent, and the 3010 drum is excellent at covering the film without streaks. All this, and daylight processing too.

OTOH, if you want to use a slosher, go for it. You should use the workflow and equipment with which you are the most comfortable.

Bruce Watson

slosher vs jobo

I think that answers my question. I wasn't aware of the temp. control (I have never lookid at the Jobo) and that would add an interesting dimension, although I don't seem to have a temp control problem (I think B&W is more understanding about very small temp variation).

slosher vs jobo

I use the Expert Drum on used bessler bases bought on Ebay. Like you I do b+w and do not worry too much about temp control. I like the uniform processing without much work on my part, and the daylight processing is what makes it possible for me to do film.

slosher vs jobo

Grump... Interesting comments.

I used a Jobo ATL years ago when doing color work, and got rid of it when moving to B&W exclusively. Now I use a couple of home-made plexi sloshers, and they are far more convenient. I've compared eveness of development to other methods (tray, tank holders, Jobo), and the slosher wins verifying John Sexton's findings. With respect to temperature control, my times are adjusted for temperature variation. Since an old computer program (DOS for the IBM XT) I wrote prompts me with different start times, I can do N+/- development and use different emulsions in the same run, adding sheets at different times (up to 6 4x5 per run). At the end of the run, the slosher is simply transfered to stop and fix. A smaller 4 4x5 version is used with 0.5 L developer rather than 1 L. There's no downside.

Mike.

slosher vs jobo

I process a lot of film and anthing that helps get it done consistantly and with minimum effort is a welcome piece of equipment. My machine of choice for the past few years has been a Jobo ATL 2300. I keep one of its processing lines for B&W and the otehr for E-6. Every couple of months I will purge the lines on the B&W lien to run some C41. It is a delight. Load the chemicals, push the button and come back later.If you have to purchase one of the ATL 2xxx series new the prices are daunting running from around 9000 to 12000 but they are reasonably available on the usede market in the 1000 to 2000 range if you have some patience. Anotehr option are the Phototherm units, generally available used for less bu tless common on the market. When I have a 100 or so sheets of film to process the idea of doing it any other way makes me shudder.