Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden (and not so ) Pyrocat HD Failure

Sudden (and not so ) Pyrocat HD Failure

I had one failure only because I didn't know roughly when stock solution A would expire. After a few months it died. Since it has a rather short shelf life, I mix up only 100ml of stock A. Stock B lasts indefinately so I mix up 1000 ml. I remember that as stock A ages, it also changes colour slightly...that was when I discarded and mixed a new batch. I haven't mixed any up for a while (about a year ago) so I don't rememeber the colour of freshly mixed and slightly aged. I'm sure Sandy will read this and chime in!

Sandy is in Mexico on Holiday for another week. I got an e-mail from him a couple of days ago.

He should chime in when he gets back.

Hypercat addresses the problem of keeping properties, and others as well.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/techdata/article-stainingdev.php

Jay

I had PF`s PMK die suddenly too. Went back to conventional developers.

"I had PF`s PMK die suddenly too. Went back to conventional developers."

510-Pyro won't die on you, and offers other advantages as well.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/techdata/article-stainingdev.php

Jay

Perhaps PF would be interested to know what's been going on for some of us. Anyone mind if we send them a link to this thread? They seemed like nice enough folks and might be willing to put it right for anyone who has had trouble. I thought it was just my fault for not using it all in under a week. The failure did spoil 5 shots for me though. In terms of mixing, some of us need smaller amounts, and fewer concentrated chems laying around, so having a liquid is really so handy.
    Also, perhaps when Sandy gets back in town he might chip in on the subject. Pyrocat HD does give nice results.

I think that the Forumlary would appreciate any problems that their product exhibits so that they can work on a resolution. Fire away.

In addition to the marvelous results one can obtain with Pyrocat HD, the research and commitment that went into developing this forumlation and Sandy's willingness to share this with us via his A+ article is just to good to be true. A testament to a gracious and consummate professional.

Stay The Course!

I sent PF a note inviting them to post a response here to enlighten us. It's a holiday this coming Monday, and Sunday today, so it might take a minute to see what they say.

I've also had recent problems with PF chemicals. I went to mix a dry pack of the Wimberly wd2d+. When I mixed the A solution it turned a deep dark orange. It looks as though they used sodium carbonate in place of the sodium bisulfite in the A solution. This happened in two consecutive Kits. I just discarded it and ordered bulk chemicals.

Stock Pyrocat-HD solutions should be good for at least six months. In fact, I have used stock solutions mixed in water that were more than a year old and the results were as good as the first day the solutions were mixed.

Over the years I have answered many questions about sudden failures, and at the end of the day the culprit was always improprer mixing or contamination. For example, if you were to introduce even the slightest amount of Solution B into Solution A, the result would be rapid degradation of Stock A. This could happen very easily, for example, if you used the same syring with both solutions.

As far as I have been able to determine, there is nothing at all wrong with the way PF mixes the Pyrocat-HD stock solutions. However, if one were to experience problems with their mixes I would encourage you to contact them directly. But to the best of my understanding they have the correct formula and have wide experience in mixing chemicals so I would be surprised if the problem were with their mixtures.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon