Thread: Agfa MCC replacement

Maine, but have lived and photographed extensively in Malaysia and France as well as New Jersey

Agfa MCC replacement

Now that Agfa's MCC is gone for good, apparently, does anyone know of a paper that is very similar in base color, tonal gradation, and emulsion color?

I am very bummed, because I liked MCC better than any paper I'd ever used going all the way back to pre-multicontrast days. I've tried Bergger/Forte, and it's OK, but the warm-base, neutral black combo of Agfa isn't there. I gave up on Ilford MG FB (except for the Warmtone) because I never got the depth of shadow detail in it that I did from the Agfa.

I haven't tried the new Kentmere papers yet; does anyone know if one of them is similar to Agfa? The Tetenal Vario paper was Agfa, so I presume that's done too.

Larry

Agfa MCC replacement

Hello,
    Like you I will miss Agfa Multicontrast Classic. My favoriate paper.

I found that I got very similar results to MCC glossy with Ilfobrom Galiere glossy, which is a graded fiber based paper. I used Dektol for both papers and light selenium toning. The matte Ilfobrom has a whiter base and doesn't seem to compare well with the Agfa.

I posted a similar topic a couple of weeks ago. Search under Agfa Multicontrast Classic and see what others had to say.

Agfa MCC replacement

I have read someone suggest that Kentmere Fineprint VC Warm is similar to MCC but as it is a semi-matt "finegrain" finish, I'm not sure how accurate that suggestion is. Might be worth investigating. It is certainly very warm with a creamy base. I use it whenever I have an image that suits, but I've never used MCC so I can't comment myself.