Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which CF tripod for backpacking with 4x5

Which CF tripod for backpacking with 4x5

I've got my pack weight down to 14lbs.(food-tent-bag-etc.) so that I can carry more camera gear-

I'm using a Toyo 45cf with 2 lenses--readyload, meter, hood, film--trying to get to under 8lbs. or thereabouts with tripod.

Most people seem to talk about the Gitzo 1227 at right around 3.2 lbs.(I think)--I plan on purchasing the acratech head.

Weight to me means a lot when out for 3-4 days at a time--I have spent a lot of time researching superlight backpacking equipment--and am consistantly trying to refine my LF equipment weight--realizing there is a balancing point where to go to light means coming back with pictures that I might as well have taken with an 8oz. digital pt. and shoot

Question is--has anyone tried using the Gitzo 1127 or 1027?

Or how about Velbon's i343 ( again I believe thats the model weighing about 1.7 lbs.)--or anything else?

I'm aware of what wind can do--but reality is when the winds blowing the 4x5 stays in the pack.

Thanks
    Ron

The problem with wind is its sometimes unpredictability. Recently, a surprise burst of wind near sunset on the edge of the Grand Canyon blew over my Gitzo 1227 with the Acratech head and a small 4x5 camera while my back was turned. I never had that problem with the much-more-stable-but-still-light Gitzo 1325.

I vowed not to let it happen again: I use the 1227 now usually for long hikes with smaller cameras, or when wind gusts seem impossible, or when the tripod has my undivided attention. My (admittedly unscientific) assessment was that the 1325 can safely handle a much stronger wind gust than the 1227 can take, for with a 617 camera on the 1325, it hardly budged in the same wind. The 1325 is still quite light, and I find it much easier on my back in use, for it allows a higher vantage point.

I usually carry two tripods. When I am shooting within a mile or two of my car, one of them is a generally a giant Benbo. I always take my 1325.

I use a G1228 with Acratech head. It is small and light -- too light if there is any breeze. Vibration reduced sharpness too much for my liking. To solve the latter, I bought the Gitzo accessory hook (which is now standard on the G1228 Mk 2, I believe), and suspend my camera bag from it. The bag I use pushes against all 3 legs, thus damping vibration due to the wind. Instead of a 3lb tripod, the hook gives me a 20lb unit when the hook is in use.

Using the hook to suspend a weight may not dampen vibration (will only help if the weight is in contact with the legs) but will reduce substantially the risk of the wind blowing the tripod over.

Best value for money purchase I ever made, that Gitzo hook!

Ron, I use the Acratech and 1228 for my Sinar F1 and Toho 45. For the Toho it is overkill somewhat, since I usually hang a bag from the tripod to stabilize it. If I could afford two I would try the 1128. But that said, the 1228 is already very light with the Toho and very stable with the bag hanging.

Ron, I assume you have read Kerry Thalmann's info on this site and his site about lightweight backpacking, but I mention it in case you haven't.

I use a 1128 with a kaiser ball head. On my Anba Ikeda it does the job. Weight on the hook works in a breeze as was stated above. I watched a pro shoot for a car commercial here in the Florida Keys a few years ago...A 4x5 setup and they had all the legs of their heavy duty tripod sandbagged. But the photographer had three assistants and a truck to cart the gear.

Ron,

I've gone through several tripods and settled on the Gitzo 1228 - the hook and light weight did it for me! Plus, it has a 3 leg section structure which is one less set of legs to extend and retract compared to some of the 4 leg section models.

I've found that Richards comments about hooking your camera backpack to the 1228 works perfectly. I previously had the 1325 and found it to be a lot heavier than the 1228 and it gave no real improvement in stability than the 1228 WITH the backpack hooked on.

I use the Ebony 45SU (mahogany version which is nice and light) and I'm fairly tall - a little over 6'4". Now, another part of the 1228 that I particularily like is that I only have to extend the top section of the legs and the the center column to get the camera to a height that I can work comfortable with. This is 3 less sections to have to extend and retract each time you set up - yeah, I'm lazy but my focus is to get the image not screw with retracting and compressing leg sections. On a long days hike that adds up to time wasted AND I find that with the backpack on the hook, there is no problem with for me having the column extended.

As a side note, after a lot of research, Jim at MPEX gave me the best price on the unit WITH the ability to exchange it for a different unit if I did not like it. Candidly, I took him up on the exchange several times before I finally found the 1228! Money on shippng but I finally got the tripod I wanted.

Last, I use the Arca head with the RRS Pano head on it as I like panorama shots on occasion.

Jack

My experience tallies with Jerry's. I have both a 1228 and a 1325. Although the 1228 is almost perfect for a lightweight 4x5, the tripod is a little light for long lens and macro shots. I would not wish to use anything lighter for 4x5. I purchased the 1325 for the substantial gain in stability, and have since obtained sharp shots in strong winds (in the American South West) that would have been impossible with the 1228. Only you can decide how much you wish to carry.

I backpack with the 1127. My backpacking camera is a Toho. It is a little shorter than I would prefer, but it does a good job of holding the camera. I carry a nylon mesh bag with me. I fill it with rocks and hang it from the center hook if there is any wind at all. Works like a charm to stabilize the whole setup. I have even used the 1127 with my Arca and it does a pretty good job. I would not want to use it for that on a regular basis.

I had the Acratech ballhead. I recently switched to the RRS bh-55 for my Gitzo 1325 and the BH-40 for the 1127. I find the RRS ballheads to be much more rigid than the Acratech. I believe the BH-40 with the Pro platform weighs and ounce or two less than the Acratech, but they are extremely close.

I use the G1228. By the way it has 4 leg sections; 3 joints makes for 4 sections. The hook unscrewed itself and got lost, so I had to replace it, at ridiculous expense; I added a little locktite this time.

It isn't very tall, for a guy who's 6'6", with a weakish back. But it turns out that bending over to use it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. It did tip over once when I had a big lens at full bellows extension, but that was because I hadn't positioned one leg directly under the lens, as I now make a point of doing.

Unlike most backpackers, I use a 3-way head (Gitzo low-profile). I started out with a ball head, thinking that the greatly reduced bulk was worth the loss in convenience. But with the tripod hanging on the outside of the pack, said bulk is not a problem, so I switched.

I recommend the center column, despite the cost, bulk, and presumed instability. You don't have to use it unless you can't get the shot any other way; then it can be the difference getting or not getting the shot.

This is the right setup for me. If it got stolen, I would replace it with the exact same thing.