Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 4x5 and 35mm SLR system

Backpack for 4x5 and 35mm SLR system

I have spent quite a few hours searching the net and reading camera bag company pages looking for a bag that will hold both a 4x5 field camera and a digital SLR setup. It would seem that I am searching for the Holy Grail of camera bags, seeing that I have not discovered anything yet. I am not looking to carry a huge amount of either system, which I have outlined below. Is there anybody out there crazy enough to do this on a regular basis? If so, please help.

Here is what I am (OK, want) to carry:

4x5 field camera
    Polaroid and Fuji quickload film holders
    Some film
    Two lenses (75 to 210mm range)
    Dark cloth
    Light meter
    Loupe

Nikon D70 w/ attached 18-70mm lens
    Nikon 80-400mm lens

And room for a few small accessories (filters, lens tissue, etc.)

Oh yeah, and a tripod...

Am I out of my mind, or would it be easier to buy a small pack animal?

My birding kit is usually a Gowland 4x5", two small lenses, and a couple of Grafmatics along with my Canon F-1N and 600/4.5 lens and the usual accessories in a ScopePak. These were made sold by Domke when I bought mine, and now I think someone else is making them. I carry the tripod with a strap over my shoulder. If I want to carry a lot of film, then I can add an extra side pocket or two on the back.

I suspect your kit will fit into something more like one of the large Tenba, F64 or Lowe backpacks.

Thanks for your input.

I have owned (and still own) several Lowepro and Tamrac bags. The problem with those two companies is most of the bags have an internal divider setup that makes it a hard fit to put a big square object like a large format camera in them. I have seen the Tenba and F.64 bags but I wasn't sure how well they would hold a 35mm setup.

Chris:

I am going to suggest the large F.64 backpack - this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=91694&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

My wife got me one for Christmas & it's great.

I am a perpetual bag analyzer for 35/MF/LF & finally feel I have what I need depending on the situation. I also have Domke bags for the other stuff.

In the past there was discussion about the build quality of these bags & in my opinion it's very well done & I'm guessing they improved a few things along the way.

The main compartment is perfect for a 4x5 or 5x7 or 8x10 & you can configure as you see fit. May want to get an additional lens bag, etc. to lash to the outside. It comes with 2 outside pockets - I have one with 5 4x5 filmholders & the other with 3 graftmatics with some slack.

Good Luck

IF I could carry that much AND I wanted to ... I'd get a good pack frame and hang two different camea bags off of it. I'd do it this way for access purposes. If one stuffed all this gear into a regular large backpack .... getting it out and in and out again would be a real drag. I use a regular midsized backpack with an internal soft frame if I know I'm going to try and walk more than five miles. I've developed a system of containers inside that keeps stuff separate and padded. Still I wouldn't want to be constantly setting up and taking down with this sort of system.

Hi Chris. I am in the same boat (or quest), wanting to bring along a digital SLR and 4x5. Check out the Tamrac Adventure 7 Model 5547. It is designed to not look like a camera bag, and has a compartment system for digital SLR on the bottom, and a large open compartment on the top that looks perfect for a square 4x5 field camera. Anyway, that's my hope. I just ordered one from B&H. It seems to be a reasonable size (and there is an Adventure 6 which is smaller). Not for overnight hikes, but great for getting around. Here's the link: http://www.tamrac.com/welcome3.htm. The bag should arrive on next Wed so I can let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everybody for the info.

The 5547 is a good idea, but it might be a bit small.

Lee,
    Does the F.64 bag hold both a 4x5 and 35mm setup?

I got a Technika, two Copal 0 lenses, 40 Readyloads and holder, spot meter, cleaning supplies, D70 and 18-70, a 15 inch Powerbook and charger, a novel, notebook, toiletries and more into a Lowe-Pro CompuTrekker and it was carry-on legal. Putting the Readyloads and holder into a Gnass Gear wrap saves a lot of room - you have to lose the Readyload boxes.

Sometimes you can bring a tripod onboard, other times you can't - so don't plan on it. As for the 80-400, stick in your jacket?

Frank,

Could you please send me a picture of how you have your bag arranged? I also have a CompuTrekker but I was not able to figure out a way to configure it well (it has those two dividers that run the complete length of the bag). Where do you put the Gnass Gear wrap?

I modified a Kelty redwing and it works great. It's actually built to have alot of weight in it and the compression straps makes it easy to load a tripod on the side. I carry six lenses, a 4x5, 8 holders a wooden tripod and sundry other crap. And could still probably fit a dslr in it.