Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To fly my LF gear or not. What do I do ???

To fly my LF gear or not. What do I do ???

I always check my tripod in a Tenba TTP bag, and I've never worried about it being stolen. I've had a laptop stolen from checked baggage at Laguardia (last time I do that!) and once I had some loose change stolen, but a tripod seems like a much more unwieldy thing to steal and maybe a little too specialized to fence easily. Do thieves really know which tripods are valuable? I'd guess that the larger video and cine tripods might seem more of an attraction, if someone really wanted to steal a tripod.

When my laptop was stolen, I also had a Canon EF and two lenses in my bag. They were obviously too old to be of interest.

I'm flying Air Canada at the end of the month into the States and these are the carry on dimensions (which you may already have): Baggage allowance on board: 2 pieces and one purse. 1) 9"x 16"x 22" 2) 6"x 13"x 17" Purse 10"x 13" x 17". Each of the two carry on's can weigh no more than 10 lbs.
    My case with wheels for my 8x10 exactly measures for item 1 but weighs 30 lbs. That;s only the camera, two lenses, light meter, darkcloth and three holders. So now I'm trying to imagine how to redistribute all of this and seriously considering checking it -- just the thought makes me shudder. My case is a soft exterior.
    I hope you decide to take it -- and if you come up with a wonderful carry-on solution, I would love to hear it.

Hey I just though of a way to carry even more equipment on board, either wear a jacket with a ton of pockets or get one of the Domke style photographers vests and stuff all of your smaller items such as lenses, meters, filters etc., in the pockets. When you get on board stuff the vest in the overhead bin. Think of it as your third carry on :-)

"Each of the two carry on's can weigh no more than 10 lbs"

10kg each Patricia - so that's a bit of an improvement - about 22lbs each

"and if you come up with a wonderful carry-on solution, I would love to hear it."

Phillips Explorer... :-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim, thanks!! I don't know why I read it as 10 lbs -- dumb, when I live in metric. Guess I can scoop everything up from the floor and relax a bit. I'll check out the Phillips solution.

5.6 lbs for the camera - but it's a long wait....

When I have to travel by plane I've trimmed it down to CF tripod in the luggage - LW Phillips (was Compact II - now the lighter Explorer), lenses are all small and light - 159mm Wolly, 210mm Kowa, 300mm and 450mm Fuji C's - heaviest is the 250mm Fuji 6.7 all in technika boards and some lighter Mido Holders.

It's okay if it's for work, but worst is if the whole tribe is also travelling (though you can hijack some of the kids carry on...) - diaper bags, food, backpacks, stroller (at least they don't count the latter) etc etc. The pressure to leave the camera behind becomes intense!

One thing I've also done - I have a big old beat up Samsonite hard-side suitcase - I've packed the camera in that inside it's own "soft" (Lightware style) case, then surrounded the rest with clothes, tripod and odds and ends. Then carried on the lenses and other stuff - not much good if the case goes missing, but other than that it's worked well - especially with my previous Deardorff or Kodak Master 8x10.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

You guys have got me (almost) convinced. Thanks.

I am indeed flying Air Canada and heading straight to Napa for a week and then down to Carmel &Yosemite (...planning to spend enough time at the wineries to see EW's and AA's ghosts!).

Seems like it might be a lesser production than I first thought so I may well take the 8x10 along as we all know that the world needs more pictures of Point Lobos and Bridal Veil !!!

Anyhow, thanks again folks and I am really looking forward to my very first trip to California - especially - all those wineries and snazzy restaurants we're booked into (Bouchon, Jeanty, La Toque, Martini.... still working on that hard-to-get French Laundry).

Cheers and thanks again, folks.

To book a reservation at the French Laundry you must call EXACTLY two months prior to when you want to go there. No sooner and no later.

And you have to mortage the homestead to pay for it.

I suggest TraVigne in Yountville. Keep in mind that it's really hard to get a bad meal in the Bay Area.

Chateau Montelene in Callistoga is one of the more beautiful and photogenic wineries. And don't pass up the Bale Grist Mill.