Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My sincere apology

My sincere apology

My recent post about "Photographers Notebook" produced quite a fire storm For those who took offense at my post, I extend sincere apologies. To offend was not my intention. My writing was anchored by a sincere passion to give a helping hand to those who want to learn and grow, even as I myself desire to do, at my advanced age.

I have experience in this field from my short four year tour of duty in directing a fine educational photography department, and being associated with the NPPA workshop, the IPPA College Caravan and as guest speaker at PPofA at Winona.

Ironically, it might be best if I didn't post my personal story here. The plan in my mind for writing Photogaphers Notebook was to identify 'potholes' in the career path for anyone desiring to climb the ladder. In doing this, the airing of my professional laundry would have meant that I would have to describe three failures for every one of my successes. I don't mind doing this if my disclosures would be taken in context. I admit I do have certain cautions about doing this as the responses to my post lead me to believe there are a ton of posters to this board who would have delighted in roasting me...which would not be a constructive use of time and bandwidth.

For those who accuse me of being pompous and ego driven, I am perhaps guilty of some pomposity, which comes with my personality, confidence and baggage..and life experience. I don't mean to sound that way, but sometimes we all have difficulty in seeing ourselves as others see us.

As for ego....my ego needs were satisfied many years ago. Please do not compare ego and a passion for photographic growth. They are two entirely different things.

For the dozen and a half people who emailed me directly showing support, I am grateful and will continue to compile my new mailing list. Thank you.

As I emailed directly, ...to one of my critics on the other post....my dear friend, the late John Cook, was laid to rest on December 7th, 2005 on a sunny day in Massachusetts as a U.S. Coast Guard Honor Guard fired a final tribute "Volley' at the grave site. For my dear friend and colleague .....Rest in Peace.

Again, my very sincere apologies to any person or group I might have offended. ...I was once a weekend snap-shooter many years ago, and those are hallowed memories in my heat.

I have learned something positive from this experience. I can only hope others might have learned too.

Good light...and 'Fresh Eyes'

Richard Boulware in Denver.

My sincere apology

Richard, you're a gent, and a nice one. I mean that sincerely.

But you're now writing about writing about writing.

I'm sure you'd get much less heated and on-topic responses if you'd just simply write.

My sincere apology

Ahem. ... more on-topic responses.

My sincere apology

Richard, sincere thanks for your apology! Please, accept mine for my personal "roasting" of you. I just couldn't resist the occasion. Hope you'll be well!

My sincere apology

For those who accuse me of being pompous and ego driven, I am perhaps guilty of some pomposity, which comes with my personality, confidence and baggage..and life experience. I don't mean to sound that way, but sometimes we all have difficulty in seeing ourselves as others see us.

Indeed. It takes integrity to apologize - I hope you will accept our apologies for being too harsh on you as readily as you offered yours.

Best regards,

My sincere apology

It takes guts to make such a heartfelt apology. Something that is not seen often enough on this forum. it is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

My sincere apology

Well done, Richard.

Now just post the damn stories and the roasters be damned. And come to think of it, I have very very rarely seen someone get roasted for telling a tale of a failure (so long as they don't try to pass the buck), those stories are in fact the most fascinating. People are much more likely to get roasted for a story of success.

Me, I'd like to hear the story of your worst shoot of all time. I bet that's a good one

Dave Karp

My sincere apology

Wow. That takes guts. Stick around.

My sincere apology

Your apology is much appreciated. Thank-you for sticking with the forum and offering us the benefit of your experience.

My sincere apology

Richard,

You have class. Keep it up.

Steve