Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Anyone using one of the latest Phillips Explorers.

ANy thoughts on the changes Dick has made to the design?

Haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet. Overall it looks great and it's so damned light... I know it saves a bit of weight, but I'm not 100% sold on the Technika lensboard - but we'll see how it goes in practice.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Tim, what's the dimension of the opening in the front standard? There's actually an issue fitting the very biggest lenses in Copal 3 (e.g., 300 Apo-Sironar-W, 210 SA) to Dick's cameras that accept the Sinar board , and if the front standard on the Technika-style Explorer is built on the same principles, I wonder just how constrained it will be in this respect.

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

On the Regular Compact II the biggest lens I have and used on it was a 165mm SA (which is big and heavy enough for me).

With the Explorer, I don't think I can find a way to use this lens (and because it has a non-reversible back, you can't even remove the back and put in the rear element that way). So it is a limitation/compromise for the weight/size savings. Then again, that is really the main point of the camera - small and light. And an approach Canham and Gandolfi and possibly others also use in a couple of their 8x10's for the same reason I think.

(In fact for the Compact II I used a sinar to Technika Board for most of my lenses except the big ones - most of the time, what's the point of a nice light compact camera and then having these big clunky somewhat heavy Sinar boards - which I guess is part of the rationale behind the change)

I guess I could always get a nice cheap 150mm Super Symmar XL... that would fit :-)

Mind you - again as size and weight is the main reason I use these cameras and I can carry it around over my shoulder with a small shoulder bag for lenses holders for a few hours, the SA only ever goes out if it's needed for something specific - otherwise a 159mm Wollensak does the job - which must be the smallest LF lens I own
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Hi Tim and Oren,

I took delivery of one of the new Explorers in October. One of the things Dick and I were concerned about was fitting the lens I needed, the Rodenstock 240mm APO Sironar-S, via a Technika board. I am happy to say that it works fine. I am not sure of the dimensions of the lenses you guys mentioned, but my own fits with no problems.

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Hi Roger

Things like the Super Angulon 165 f8 have rear elements (which are huge) that are greater in diameter than the hole the technika mount system uses on the camera front

Also cameras in copal #3 shutters will need a lensboard with a 1/4" spacer - I haven't checked yet, but I may need to do this for the Ilex/Universal shutter on my Ektar 12"

Don't get me wrong - the camera is all I wanted in a light weight 8x10 and more - and I was well aware of the issues with the Technika mount. And it is beautifully made as ever

One other note - I think having a centre drilled hole rather than an offset hole as the Linhof (and some other) boards use makes a difference with some shutters on the Explorer. I have some Tachihara boards like this that seem to fit the Explorer nicely

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

No complaints about it from here - it's a reasonable tradeoff to get a more compact camera. Just a matter of understanding what one is getting. Could either of you at your convenience post the actual dimensions of the front opening so we'll have it here for the record?

Tim - good point about the offset holes on the Technika boards. This was an issue with the 4x5 Phillips as well.

Clay

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

He made some of this batch with Sinar sized boards. This is a better match for bigger lenses.

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

I actually have my Rodenstock 240 mounted on a Copal 3 Nikon board that I got from Jim at Midwest. Dick Phillips sent along a Walker board with the Explorer just in case but the Nikon board fits fine. I have some info on the Explorer's dimensions that Dick faxed to me, I'll have a look this evening and post the info if I can find it. I am now looking for a second lens to complete my 8x10 kit, something in the range of 360mm but not in a Copal 3 shutter. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Perhaps something along the lines of the 355 G-Claron?

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

"He made some of this batch with Sinar sized boards. This is a better match for bigger lenses."

Explorers? Interesting - I'd got the impression the whole batch was the new Technika style

Clay

Phillips 8x10 Explorer

Tim,

My bad. I was thinking about the latest batch of the Compact II's, which do take a Sinar board. The Explorer is a different camera, and I don't have any direct knowledge about that one. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.