Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sebastiao Salgado!

Sebastiao Salgado!

I just received an issue of Sierra Magazine today and in it are some pretty amazing photos of the Galapagos Islands made by Sebastiao Salgado. Many of you probably know his workers and migrations stuff. I wish I had a direct link for you (I know someone will come through for me!) but if you have to it's worth searching for. I think the iguana hand is particularly jaw-dropping.

I could be wrong, but I believe Salgado shoots 35mm; just goes to show the most important piece of equiment a photographer carries is his brain. Or would that be his eye? Anyway, check out Salgado!

Sebastiao Salgado!

Here you go: Sierra Magazine, Jan/Feb 2006.
    For more, check out this Guardian Unlimited page on Salgado,
    especially some of the shots in "State three: Among the giants".

Sebastiao Salgado!

I think I read he was using MF for this "last great project"?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Sebastiao Salgado!

I have a video of Salgado photographing for his "Workers" book. If I'm not mistaken, he used a Leica SLR.

Sebastiao Salgado!

found the old article (paper from the Guradian - not online) - doesn't say what kind, but he has adopted MF for this "Last Great Project" as he calls it.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Sebastiao Salgado!

For this project he is using a Pentax 67.

Sebastiao Salgado!

Per one of the articles in the Guardian feature, he's using a Pentax 645:

www.guardian.co.uk/arts/salgado/story/0,15021,1365885,00.html

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Sebastiao Salgado!

In the last few months I read a large piece on him.... maybe in the New Yorker... I'll take a look for it.
    Anyway he says this is his last project and he's switched to MF for it.
    I thought it mentioned the Pentax 67 also.
    Great work, from a great photographer.

When I did work with Doctors without Borders he was one of our main photogrphers. He was still using Leica's back then... he had some of the R6's and rangefinders.
    -Rob Skeoch

Sebastiao Salgado!

I had the fortune of meeting Sebastiao in one of my business trips in the Far East some 10 years ago. He is a master of 35 mm and although he used at the beginning OM cameras, he then swifted to the Leica system. He said to me that for the book WORKERS (that I consider one of the most beautiful and influential photo books ever) he used Leica M 6 cameras with 28 8with 28 outer frame) , 35 50 mm lenses and a Leica R6 with a long lens (I think a 200mm). He was shooting TRI-X film LARGELY OVEREXPOSED and devloped in Microdol (but he could not remember......). I have seen the photos of of the new project and they are astounding. I cannot say if he went MF since I have seen them on a daily but I think that he is a MASTER irrespectively from the camera and the format he chooses.

Sebastiao Salgado!

I am having a Salgado in my gallery this month.
    exhibit opens Jan 21 Saturday and hope to see you all there.
    I am including the gallery website.

www.desantosgallery.com

Salgado is a fabulous photographer who manages to capture the harsh reality of so many people's suffering but without editorializing and always keeping their humanity and respect intact not like so many other photo journalists.
    Thank you Luis