Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: vitriolic abuse

vitriolic abuse

Well, you guys who want to play in the mosh pit, are you confident you could keep it there, at least well enough so that the moderators aren't run ragged cleaning up the leakage?

vitriolic abuse

I think a LOT of people need to take Michael Gordon's advice above. Somehow I don't think this discussion would take place with this group of people any time but the dead of winter.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

vitriolic abuse

I thought it time to check in with some of the renowned vitriolic flamers of history ...

"To know all is not to forgive all. It is to despise everybody." --Quentin Crisp

"Being in politics is like being a football coach; you have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important." --Eugene McCarthy

"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

vitriolic abuse

Darr: I would like to see a gallery category where contributors can post images and we can then have a dialog about them. I usually learn more from looking at art than from all the talk about it.

Great idea, Darr. This would be especially great for people who don't have their own permanent place to post images.

May I also suggest something like Beginner's Corner (or Newbie Pit, if you wish, or something along those lines, you get the idea) where beginners or those of us who feel as such could post images and ask for advice?

Regards,

vitriolic abuse

" this has become a community for a lot of people. it's a lot more rewarding to slug it out and vent with people you know ... friends and nemeses alike... / ... i'll learn more about where someone's art comes from if i hear them rant or sulk or fight or flee than i will if i just hear them drone on about f-stops." --paulr

I quite concur with Paul on this one. Artr history is as much about the personalities as the artwork they produced, so it seems in current art, we should take advantage of getting to know the personalities producing work in our medium today, (minor figures though we are, and as painful as that familiarity might sometimes be!) The ultimate damage done by vitriolic, abusive posters is to themselves. I've yet to read an insult here that lowered my opinion of the person being insulted, and learning not to take baiting seriously seems as worthwhile a skill as any exposure/development method. My best suggestion to the moderators would be that we move the poster's name to the top, so that as we start reading a post, we know from the start whether it's one we want to blip through or read more seriously.

I especially enjoy the arguements; a recent one regarding Robert Adams was quite rewarding, and the exchanges over the work to my mind validated the work by its having inspired that discussion. We could just do without the repeated personal insults.

vitriolic abuse

Quote time? Oh goody.

"I love the small of Napalm in the morning!"

"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."

"If you have nothing good to say about anybody, come and sit by me."

"He sufferns from delusions of adequacy."

"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it shall be behind me."

"Non illegetemi carborundum."

Abuser of God's Sunlight

vitriolic abuse

"If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve." --jello biafra

vitriolic abuse

"Ack!" - Bill the Cat.

vitriolic abuse

"Stupidity, as oposed to genius, is limitless" --??

"There's only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary system and those who don't" --??

“Some men fish all their lives without realizing it is not fish they are after.” -- Henry David Thoreau

vitriolic abuse

The law of diminishing returns kicks in, with a vengeance...