Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K. B. Canham 20x24" cmaera

K. B. Canham 20x24" cmaera

K. B. Canham announced that he started the production of 20"x24" camera in metal. Delivery lead time would be the beginning of 2008. Look interesting. But what do you think about a price of US$18,000 to 20,000?

I'll take two. Everyone needs a back-up. Grin.

I just paid less than that for a 2006 Saturn Ion, Level 3. But I bet the Canham gets better gas mileage. And it sure and heck doesn't pollute the air as much.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Eric Woodbury

How much film comes with it? It better be a lifetime supply.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

"But what do you think about a price of US$18,000 to 20,000?"

The current issue of Photo Techniques magazine carries results of a test comparing a Leica R9 body and digital back (probably about $15,000, it's so far out of my price range that I haven't even checked) , a Canon Mark Sometingorother (about $9,000), and an Olympus Somethingorother ($1,000). The conclusion was that the Canon with Leica lenses was the best digital camera/lens combination around (probably $20,000 - $30,000 depending on which and how many Leica lenses were bought). So the Canham price doesn't seem unreasonable considering the fact that 20x24 contact prints would blow anything 20x24 from the Canon/Leica out of the water. Of course the Canon/Leica is a little more mobile.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

hmmm. a 20x24" scanning back.....

ok .. i'm kidding!!! :^)

Jim

Why not a 20x24 scanning back? I'm not kidding. Grin!

I know there are 4x5 scanning backs, but are there any 8x10 versions?

I love film, but it'd be fun to see if ULF (8x10 isn't ULF) could be digitized.

I can see a whole new instillation art movement of using a 20x24 digital camera to make house size prints and have them mounted in locations like billboards. Art to the masses!

Am I on to something big? HA!

We need to get this technology to Robert Adams! Can we all chip in to pay for it?

Too fun.

Keith is a shrewd businessman and you can conclude that: 1) there is a market for a camera this size, 2) he is confident that he can sell them and 3) his delivery time will be met with impeccable quality control and customer service. As long as Canham has been in business and as free as people are to voice their opinion positive or negative within this and other internet venues, I have never heard of even a single customer service issue with their product line. And that speaks for itself.

I personaly feel that the current favorable market for ULF cameras in general is a residual effect of the improved opportunities to procure modern ULF sheet film and that is a good thing for all LF photographers.

It is my personal opinion that when people see the new Wisner price list and potential customers come to grips with the actual delivery time frame, Canham Cameras will no longer be the higher priced anomoly that has driven people to the previously lower cost alternative and some of the frustrations that have beset this infrastructural condition. You may not like the time it takes Keith to build a ULF camera or back, but you will never be disappointed that these expectations will be met and most of the time exceeded and that the product will perform exactly as designed for many years.

Keep up the good work Keith and continue working that phone!

Cheers!

You may not like the time it takes Keith to build a ULF camera or back

Good news for connoisseurs of wacky formats: a close inspection of Keith's website last night revealed that the delivery time for special formats has at last reverted to the traditional 12 months, and the caveat about delays beyond that has been removed.

Last year I served as intermediary for a friend in Spain in the sell of a 20X24" Wisner and five holders. I advertised the camera in a number of English language sources and initially handled all email inquiriers about the equipment. The number of people who contacted me about the camera, including three or four who would have bought the camera but came to the table late, convinced me that at an y given time there are quite a number of people in the world interested in buying 20X24" cameras. And most of them appear to have one or two specific projects in mind that are desinged to take maximum advantage of a camera of this size.

So I doubt that Canham will have any trouble selling his 20X24" camera. In fact, it would not surprise me to know that he alrady has at least one of them sold.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon