For those insuring your gear under your homeowners policy. BEWARE... at least in USA. I had 2 small claims, the result was, Homeowners insurance company will drop you like a hot potatoe.

Homeowners insurance is the new hot bed for insurance companies, just think, they charge you $600 a year, and they run the risk of $250k? So now, unlike 10 years ago, if you file a claim, be prepared to be dropped, maybe not immeidately, but within 6 months. Then, it gets worse. Trying to get another homeowners policy will cost you 10x the amount, as NO insurance company will write your policy, as they all look back 3 years in the computer database. It doesn't matter what the claim is for. In my case, a kid threw a stone at my front window, $750, but $500 deductable, and a $1500 loss of camera gear, all in 2 months. I was using State Farm insurance.

I tried every insurance company under the sun, none would write my homeowners policy. Later I found out, if you move into a house, and the previous owner filed a claim in that house in the past 3 years, they won't write the policy. So, what happens? You must go into secondary markets, whereas very few companies even exsit. In my case, my homeowners insurance went from $600 a year to $6k per year! Yep, for $3 solid years, no one would touch the policy, only one company. I have perfect credit, good job, no claims in my prior 20 years of homeowners policies, I had all my car insurance with STate Farm totaling $4k a year, and still they cut you off with 30 days notice. I could not beleive the trauma and expense those few claims cost me, like $15k extra for 3 years....now, the 3 years is up, and every insurance company under the sun will write my policy again, I just signed up for $700 a year. Of course, had I undrstood these new unwritten insurance guidelines, I would have NEVER filed the claims. So, for others, don't let a $800 claim on your homeowners cost you $15k and 3 years of misery trying to get insured. From what I have heard, things have only gotten worse since then..... Homeowners insurance is turning out to be a looser for insurance companies and they are playing hardball, realizing the slightest bit of potential risk (like someone who filed a claim) is not worth the $600 per year.