Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop poll

Workshop poll

I am planning to attend a workshop (perhaps more than one) later this year. Since there is many on here who have done them before, which ones were your best experiences? Which ones helped you move noticeably forward? Which ones were well organized and which rather chaotic? I'm thinking of Wolf, Sexton, perhaps Ritter and others.

I'm looking at both LF camera work and developing/printing, none digital at this time.

Thanks.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Workshop poll

For LF: I have been in workshops with both Tillman Crane and Chip Forelli, and would highly recommend either. Tillman organized his workshop around the use of polaroid material, so there was no opportunity to interact with him in the darkroom. Chip did use conventional materials, and he taught/demonstrated his dye-dodging technique. Both are great guys to get to know.

For printing: I've been in many workshops that included a printing element, and have learned a little from each instructor. But with a doubt the best printing instructor I have encountered in Bill Abranowicz.

Workshop poll

What area of the country are you from, willing to go to and how much are you willing to spend. I think these are resonable questions because I have attended workshops in Maine. They are very well done with lots of other things going on at the same time. Shows each night at the Union Hall partying in Camden etc. They are also very expensive. On the other hand you have many of the same instructors teaching the same course at Peters Valley in New Jersey for about 1/3 the cost. You don't have the nightly Union Hall programs or as good a room. In fact the rooms are primative. But the food is good, the people great and it's much cheaper.

Sometimes Maine or Palm Beach or New Mexico will have coures you can get no where else. For all the rest research is the key.

Workshop poll

Gordon Hutchings (The Book of Pyro) does a lf class that includes some printing every June at the Maine Photo Workshops

Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee do printing workshops

michaelandpaula@michaelandpaula.com

View Camera magazine is doing a large format conference in Rockford, IL (just outside Chicago) in June (8-11). The program is on our web site www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Eric Biggerstaff

Workshop poll

I have been to many workshops ranging from two weeks with John Sexton down to a one day with a local pro here in Denver. All can be of value depending on what your mindset is and how open to the experience you are. Some questions:

Where do you live?

What do you like to photograph?

Do you want private or group? ( I would suggest group unless there are very specific areas you need help with).

What is your budget?

Do you want field work, darkroom or a combination?

What are your goals?

What is your current skill level?

Does the course you want to take have prerequists and if so, can you meet them?

These are all good things to ask yourself as you decide on a program.

I think there are several very good areas you can go. Check out the Ansel Adams Gallery, Maine Photographic Workshops, Santa Fe Photographic Workshops, Anderson Ranch Arts Center to name a few. Also, most of the better known photographers offer workshops either on their own or as part of a school, you can contact them directly ( most have websites).

Workshops are a great way to improve your skill level, be introduced to new ideas and meet new photographers who have a similiar interest as you.

I hope this helps and thanks for the post.

Yours,
    Eric

www.ericbiggerstaff.com
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Eric Biggerstaff

Workshop poll

I almost forgot, all the workshops I have attended have been well organized and run ( either by the individual instructor or the workshop host). Each was very different in what was taught,the teaching style, the location, etc. The two people you mentioned would provide a solid workshop experience depending on what your expectations are.

Thanks again,
    Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Workshop poll

I've been to several, including at ICP in NYC, Rockport, Maine and Santa Fe. The best had to be Michael and Paula's long weekend in Pennsylvania.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Dave Karp

Workshop poll

I attended John Sexton's printing workshop (not the advanced class). It was well worth it. I enjoyed it very much. He gave a lot of information. I had the opportunity to meet very talented photographers who are passionate about what they do. It was a great opportunity to see photographs printed by some excellent printers, including Sexton, Anne Larson, Brett Weston, and Ansel Adams. The print critique session was very helpful. I wish I could take the second class, but I always have to work when it is offered. Note however that this class is not hands on. At least when I went, you don't print. You watch John print. I did find it very useful. My printing improved after attending this workshop.

My late father in law attended a printing workshop by Bruce Barnbaum. He enjoyed it very much, and his printing improved after attending the workshop. I believe that this workshop was more hands on, in that he had the opportunity to print and have Barnbaum work with you right there. If I am not mistaken, Barnbaum even invited participants to call him after they got home if they had any questions. I am sure my father in law did call him, and got some good advice. My father in law also attended a workshop/trip with Sexton and Ray McSavaney. He found this workshop very helpful as well.

Hope this helps.

Workshop poll

Great input guys, thanks. To clarify some issues:

- I'm in Buzzards Bay by Cape Cod and naturally I would prefer New England area, but it is almost a non-factor as I would go to any place in the country

-budget is somewhat an issue, but the overall value of a program much more so
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Jim Ewins

Workshop poll

Some of us at a "certain age" find the extremely intensive workshops (14-18hrs/day for 5 or 6 days) difficult. The data begins to blur.