Thread: Buy your 1800f locally

Buy your 1800f locally

Picked up my 50 lb Microtek 1800f yesterday and set it up this morning. The power switch is faulty and it won't stay powered on unless I keep my finger pressed on the button.

Microtek's tech support line had a message that their call volume was too high and to call back later. Nice. Their "Knowledge Base" is one of those idiotic RightNow ASP services that are evil and stupid. So I sent them an email which maybe will get answered.

Then I took the scanner back to my local professional photo dealer. They took it back no problem and promised me satisfaction within a week. Not ideal but a helluvalot better than trying to get through to B&H or an online computer retailer these days.

Nice to buy something locally and see it work out to the customer's advantage.

As for the 1800f, it is quite a big sucker. The one advantage I'd give the Epson 4990 is that it is half its size...

Buy your 1800f locally

It's a shame there is no 'local' support in Canada - otherwise I would have bought the 1800f too. Cross border 'repair' is a pain in the keester.

Buy your 1800f locally

Should have called ... Bill ORielly is on Fox.. he would have had that switch fixed in no time.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Buy your 1800f locally

Not all online retailers are difficult to deal with. For instance, with amazon, it will take just a couple of clicks to print a prepaid return label, without no need to contact anybody. I buy multiple copies of lenses to keep the best sample and return the rest easily. By the way, if someone is going to buy from amazon, why not follow the link at the bottom of the static page :-) ?

Buy your 1800f locally

My dealer had two other Microteks (i800s) going back for being delivered broken, which kind of puts me off of buying a Microtek. I will probably just settle for an Epson 4990 and take my chances, as my last two Epsons have been fine.

I always thought that photo gear on Amazon was sold through B&H or J&R and they used their system? Certainly for testing various Canon DSLRs lenses I'm sure you want to try a couple of samples, but I really hate putting a good dealer through the same hassle for view camera gear and all.

Buy your 1800f locally

Big? My new Screen Cezanne Elite is 55" x 24" footprint! 90 lbs....

As for Amazon, I too find them to be a joy to deal with, however, i recently got tripped up, as when you buy through amazon, and they use 3rd party vendor, quite often, the returns are handled through the 3rd party vendor, and sometimes this means big re stock fees, limited return period, etc. You have to look hard at the policies the 3rd parties offer.

QT, what lenses are you buying several of and returning the worst of? Are they LF lenses?

Buy your 1800f locally

Hello Frank,

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble with the 1800f. Did you try calling the high end support number that came with the 1800f? I've been able to call them pretty much anytime of the day and get through within 1-2 minutes max. As for buying locally I agree with that if you can or directly through the manufacturer if you can. I bought my 42" LCD TV locally as I knew if there was a problem I could get it replaced as Sony was out of stock on it at the time. I hope that you enjoy your purchase as I've been using my 1800f for a year or so and love it. Thanks!

Jeffrey Zweig

Buy your 1800f locally

Never saw that fancy number - wish I had...