Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Photographers Notebook"

"Photographers Notebook"

A couple of months ago I considered writing a series of post on my life and career as a professional photographer. After many weeks of consideration, and responses to some post, advice from others like the late John Cook and others, I have decided to not pursue this project on this board. Nothing against this LF board...quite the contrary. This is a very fine forum that answers many question from 'newbies' and answers other important questions. For "Q.T" and others....applause, applause.

My decision is based upon my observation about the attitude I see on this board. I see a lot of techno-speak, and little about the most important issue I feel is relevant to photographers.
    That issue, is: "How to be a better photographer". It's about seeing. Or as Shelly said , "Strip the Veil of Familiarity from the Commonplace". It's about seeing with new eyes. .Not imitating someone else. Not an issue of technique, or adapter rings for some lens, or JoBo processors, or where the code notch on a piece of sheet film is supposed to be.

In some recent posts I asked a simple question, hoping for a simple as possible answer. The first post ripped my head off. Subsequent posts were polite and answered some of my questions. For those who did so....thank you. It is not that I have a thin skin. Quite the contrary. I have a very thick skin, and much of the ego BS runs right off my back. It is simply a question of where and how I spend my time. I asked a simple question.."What time is it. My answers were,..how dare you ask what time it is.....or this is how you build a clock"!

My great desire is to pass on information that I have learned, that I think might be of substantial value to those wanting to climb higher of the rungs of the ladder of professionalism, or artist/photographer...in exhibitions, or wherever. I have little time for "BS."

If your just a hobbyist and have no desire to be a better shooter. FINE! Go in peace and be well.
    I have no problem with this concept. It's just not the people I hope to serve.

Photography has allowed me to go places, and do things that most people dream about. Some was luck, most was skill and experience. When I go....it goes with me. I'd like to leave some of that here with those who hunger...to want to be 'more'!

I have no time for weekend snap-shooters in LF who think there personal worth is their ego on internet postings. This is crap. I have not time for this. Serious professionals do not tolerate this kind of nonsense.

For those who yearn to grow, and be more.....I hope to be a resource for you. Why? Photography has been a blessing for me and I feel a moral obligation to 'pass-it-on'! When I go...as a senior citizen...my experience and knowledge goes with me. I'd like to leave some of what I know, behind with those you yearn to be more. I guess it makes me feel good about myself to do this. That's about as honest as I can be.

Presently I am assembling a group of folks as a resource for those who want to be 'more'!

Perhaps we will start a web site.

Right now, they are: one "Pulitzer Prize" wining photographer and some others who are outstanding in their field of advertising photography, industrial photography, and nature photography. Heavyweights all!

It isn't going to happen overnight, but the future hold great promise. I hope to assemble a group of professionals in all fields of photography, who's sole purpose is to provide answers and leadership to those who genuinely want to grow, and learn. Just for the pleasure of doing it. Those who desire a helping hand up the ladder of excellence!

To those ego-trip types that let reign their... "hummingbird minds, while their elephant fingertips type on their computer keyboards"....forget it. That's why God invented the 'delete' key.

Honest, earnest questions for guidance will be answered in kind.

For those interested please contact me directly at: www.boulwareden@msn.com.

Obviously....this is a labor of love,... for those who want to make better photographs.

Good shooting, good light, and a wish to each of you for clear, creative thinking. Push the envelope! Go for it! Good luck!

Blessings.

Richard Boulware - Denver.

"Photographers Notebook"

Richard,

Have you thought of starting a blog to get things going? I also hope that your crateria for choosing one over another for your close group of interested individuals will NOT end on his/hers professional success. I'm not sure how you intend to measure their suitability for your project, but a blog would give you a great chance to better explain your vision (no doubt quite correct, but not that the technical side of it isn't important) and gather more interest in what you wish accomplish.

Good luck and please let me know where I can find you on the net.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

"Photographers Notebook"

Write a real book before you finish, and get it published, or publish it yourself, so it is available after these sites fade away.

Eric Biggerstaff

"Photographers Notebook"

Richard,

I am sorry you won't be posting the "Photographers Notebook" on the site, but please continue to develop the idea and try to find a publisher ( perhaps ViewCamera, Photo Techniques, or one of the new publications).

Perhaps one of these days I can get a Dever area LF outing put together and we can all meet, it is nice to have faces with names sometimes. With the warm weather we are having there is no excuse not to!

I think we need to have more posts about the art of photography but we need people such as yourself ( and others I am sure) who are willing and able to write them.

Take care and thanks anyway.

Yours,
    Eric

www.ericbiggerstaff.com
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

"Photographers Notebook"

I totally understand your reluctance based on the change this forum seems to have taken...seems to be more about volatile responses-one upmanship if it were, and way too much digital speak for me. May as well be "Large format digital photo forum" these days.

I applaud your effort to initially make the offer, and QT's in starting this site, which was invaluable to me before I ventured into LF.

I check in more out of habit I think, and truly miss Mr. Cook's nostalgic musings, truly someone I wished I'd met.

Good luck with the endeavor Richard.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

"Photographers Notebook"

"If you're just a hobbyist...." "I have no time for week-end snap shooters...." That pretty well describes me. Just what the heck do you think that I could learn from an egotistical, pontifical j**k like you? Writers write -- loudmouths talk about writing.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

"Photographers Notebook"

bill Just what the heck do you think that I could learn from an egotistical, pontifical j**k like you?

Hook, line and sinker!

"Photographers Notebook"

Well, it takes one to know one.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

"Photographers Notebook"

Well, it takes one to know one.

Peewee Herman? Is that you?

"Photographers Notebook"

thanks Richard, it sounds like something that's needed. this forum had reached the abusivness of dpreview, so somthing that has a little more focus (and a lot more moderation) would be welcome.