Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss B1 ball head stiffness

Arca Swiss B1 ball head stiffness

I've used an Arca Swiss B1 ball head for a few years of weekend shooting, much of the time near the ocean. The B1 has a recurring lock-up problem. (NOTE: this is unrelated to the well-known B1 user-induced freeze-up -- my minimum tension is set completely off.)

The problem is that the ball movement has become increasingly stiff over time, to the point where the ball is now difficult to move. It frees up after being jerked around, but locks up again after the next tighten.

The problem first exhibited itself when the B1 was a couple of years old. Arca Swiss fixed it then under warranty. They didn't say what the problem was, but I assumed it was related to a production problem that affected a few B1's from the early 2000's. But my problem has returned.

Q1: Has anyone else had this recurring problem with the B1?

Q2: Assuming that the problem is corrosion-related, are other ball heads more resistant to ocean air? I'm particularly interested in the Really Right Stuff BH-55.

Thanks.
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com

Michael E. Gordon

Sounds like you need an Acratech, Leigh

Acratech is absolutely the answer to these sorts of problems. The large, exposed ball means there is no place for moisture, sand, grit, dirt, etc, to get trapped and cause problems. Added bonus, it is a bit smaller and lighter than comperable heads. I use it regularly with a Canham 5x7 Traditional andno problems at full extension. Have also used it without problems with a Phillips Compact II.

What's your eBay handle so we can avoid your auction? ;-)

Try Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works to set the head right, he is the AS service guy.

absolutely

If you are using a camera lighter than say a 10 or 11lb 8x10 then the Acratech.

Nowhere for the gunk to hid and you can easily wipe/rinse it down
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I used the Acratech while the B1 was being serviced last time. I really didn't like its tightening mechanism, and was caught out by a couple of unexpected sideways flops.

Those RRS ball heads have yet to be proven over the long term, but they look promising, so I'd love to hear from anyone using one of those.

Frank, if I sell the B1, I'll get it serviced first, but 45su is the seller to avoid if not the trusting type :-)
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com

The Novoflex Classic Ball 3 aand 5 have no lubricants so they easily avoid this problem, the construction also totally eliminates image shifts as tension or lock is applied and the tension control is click stopped for absolute repeatibility.

Yes. I've experienced exactly the same problem.

There is the lower plastic ring that pushes the ball up for tensioning. The ring has a spherical shape at the top to match the ball. This ring got stuck within the aluminum body. I think the ring had simply expanded slightly. There was no dirt, grit or lack of lubricant involved. To release the stuck head, one could tap on the release plate form above with the fist.

I was in the middle of Bolivia when this happened. I was desperate enough to service the ball myself. To disassemble, you have to remove the "half moon shaped" grey metal cover on the tension knob first. Didn't know that then and screwed up the head's panoramic base which is no longer smooth. However, once you know where to begin, you can disassemble the head without a lot of risk.

I disassembled the whole head and tried to file off some of the outer diameter of the plastic ring. This did not work as the material is very tough. With a lathe, it would have been easy to remove just the right amount of material but I didn't have one. So I simply cut a slot into the ring radially with a saw, resulting in a nearly closed C shape. The result was a usable head that never got stuck for the rest of the trip, but it is no longer as smooth as before.

To make the long story short, my recommendation is to have the head serviced by Arca or their respective associates. They might do it for free because it's really a design flaw. If that does not work out, I'm pretty sure you'll get the head back to normal if you remove a tiny bit of material from the plastic ring with a lathe.

I had some issues this fall when using the B-1 in heavy rain that lasted for about 10 days. At a couple of points I had to grip the plate and use all my strength to move the ball. It seems like the ball swelled up. Scientifically I don't think that's possible, but it sure seemed like it. Certainly all the extra water around the ball made it impossible for there to be any loose surface area in there. Once it was loosened it was OK the rest of the day.

After I completely dried it out a few weeks later the movement went back to normal. I've used it in the rain again and had no problems, so I hope it doesn't happen again. Right now it's working as good as new.

I just sold my Acratech to buy a RRS BH-55. I shoot with an Arca F-Line.

The Acratech did a fine job of holding the camera when tightened down, but I found a great deal of flex in the ballhead. When I racked out my rails all the way with a 450mm lens, the whole setup easily twanged like a guitar string. It did not take much to get it to vibrate. The RRS is FAR more rigid. I just got back from an 11 day shooting vacation in Utah and I really enjoyed using the RRS. It is smooth and holds very well. Once I got used to the control placement, I completely forgot about it. It just worked. In my opinion, that is about the best thing you can say about a ballhead.

Also with the Acratech, due to its design, you often need to swing the pan around to get the camera where you want it. It is not a huge deal, unless you are in hectic mode due to rapidly changing light. Then it is a bit of a pain in the arse.

My $0.20 worth.