Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI 5x7 Cold Light Enlarger...

Zone VI 5x7 Cold Light Enlarger...

Greetings all,

A friend of mine is looking at buying the following enlarger package:

Zone VI 5X7 Variable Contrast Cold Light Enlarger
    Schneider Componon-S 100mm f5.6 and 150mm f5.6 lenses
    35mm, 6X7 and 4X5 neg carriers; 2 columns; lens board and focus extension; baseboard
    Beseler Digi-timer

I think it's a great deal at CDN$2,000 but am wondering how easy it will be to find a 5x7 carrier for this setup. How about bulbs? Service (in Canada?) I understand Calumet in the US is now the distributor for these enlargers and all things Zone VI?

Does anyone on this forum have a similar setup and what's your impression of it? Likes, dislikes?

Lastly, what are the differences in printing with a cold light head and the standard heads?

Any comments?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

You mention “2 columns” and if that means two focusing standards or tubes, it means you have a type 2 enlarger. Calumet still supports the type 2, and they sell the 5x7 carrier. Or you could make a 5x7 carrier from two sheets of glass. Calumet also handles all repairs, although you will probably never wear-out the bulbs.

My only complaint is that the type 2 Zone VI is probably one or two stops slower in printing than the average enlarger. The available contrast and print appearance are about the same as with any dichro diffusion enlarger. Using Ilforfd MG4 fiber, I can get a Grade 00 by using the green tube alone, a Grade 5 by using the blue tube alone, and using both tubes together gives between Grades 0.5 and 4.0.

Hi E,

Thanks for the information. Yes, this enlarger comes with 2 columns. One is a lot longer than the other... and is substituted by unscrewing some bolts on the baseboard. There is also one heavy counter-weight that comes with the unit.

Is the one or two stop slower printing its only drawbacks? I'm assuming you have one of these babies.

I'm told that most fine art photographers gravitate to the cold-light heads instead of the dichro diffusion enlargers. I'm not sure of the reason for this. From your comment, it sure doesn't seem to be a big thing either way. Am I right in this assumption?

For CDN$2,000... would you go for it?

[The only enlarger I've ever had the pleasure of working with was the Leitz Focomat 35 with autofocus. So, I'm way out in left field when it comes to enlargers such as this. Therefore, I really do appreciate the input. ]

I'll contact Calumet about the 5x7 carrier...

Thanks again for your kind advice.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Henry,

The "two" columns that E. refers to are the rods on the focusing standard that moves the bellows. What you have is two main colums, one standard and one X length so you can get an extra magnification on the baseboard. They're not meant to be exchanged easily as you will likely need to realign the whole enlarger after doing so.

For the money you mentioned I'd try to hunt for a Durst Laborator L1200 or even the earlier L1000. You can find them on eBay quite often for under 1US grand and that will usually include some lenses and a color head. While a color head is not as easy to work with (at first) as a dedicated VC head, it WILL in the end give you same superb images. Zone VI is a nice enlarger, but there is nothing like the Durst, especially the L1200. Plus there is a lot more of accessories for the Durst that will expand your options almost indefinitely.

As for the Cold Light vs. Dichro ... there is no real difference. It's just a preference unrelated to the actual quality of output.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Henry,

It seems the “2 columns” we’re referring to are the main column which attaches to the baseboard. Zone VI did make two sizes, a 60 inch and a 44 inch for small darkrooms. But I was curious if the enlarger “camera”, where the negative goes, has one or two focusing standards which move the bellows. If it has only one, it is a “type 1”, the older version which most people avoid. The type 1 had a problem covering 5x7, I’ve heard. The negative carriers are different on the type 1 and type 2 enlargers, and I don’t think Calumet offers parts for the type 1.

The type 2 has two focusing standards, covers 5x7 fully, and is the better Zone VI enlarger. But if you don’t need the 5x7 ability, I’ll have to agree with Witold J. Grabiec that you would be better off with the Durst Laborator L1200. I’ve seen these on ebay go for about $1000 or so, with the CLS 501 color head. Years ago fine art photographers did gravitate to the cold-light heads from the condenser heads, but I think it’s been firmly established that dichro diffusion will give the same results as a cold light.

If you need the 5x7 ability, your options are much more limited. The Omega E or F series, or the Durst 138 or an 8x10 Durst 184. I think the Zone VI type 2 is probably the best 5x7 enlarger for the money. I recently saw a nice type 2 with lots of accessories sell on ebay for about $1500.

There are two 5x7 carriers on ebay today.

I took another look at these holders. They may be type I holders. Ask the seller what size they are. The type II are larger. Unfortunately, I'm traveling and can't give the measurements, but I'm sure someone else here can do so. Good luck.

Hello, Witold, E, and Jay,

Thank you for your comments...

Witold, E,

Now, I understand what the "2 columns" referred to in your comments mean... I'll have to send the seller a note and ask him. I wasn't aware of this difference when I looked at the enlarger.

Since I just bought a 5x7 Dorff... I'd like to give 5x7 printing a go and that's why I was considering this enlarger in the first place.

I'll post the seller's response when I get it.

Jay,

Thank you... I'll take a peek and send the seller a note.

[This is marvelous information and can only come from members like you guys on a site like this... thank you very much! ]

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Hi E, Witold,

Just confirmed... it IS a Type II version.

So, for CDN$2,000... it sounds like it would be a wise purchase given that I would like to print 5x7?

Thanks again.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Has anyone actually used one of these for 5x7? I have the Type 1 and with 4x5 it seemed to be at its limits for light falloff so printing at 5x7 might be a problem unless the Type II is a big improvement.