Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak's New Logo

I exist, therefore I am

Kodak's New Logo

As an Art Director and graphic designer I must say that I think the new logo is totally bland. Will you recognize it in a split second in the corner of your eye? The old one had a clearly distingtive form. A CEO with balls would have orderd a slight revision of the old one, a tweak here and a tweak there to modernize it without loosing its expression. Coca-Cola tweaks their logo every three years. No one ever notices, but on the other hand, it never looks old. Now the Kodak logo does look just like a 23-year old graphic designer has done it. Indistinguishable from anything else.
    If you set up your camera in a way that removes everything in the composition that stands out and draws the eye. Would it be a good picture?

Kodak's New Logo

minimalism? What about the old adage "less is more". I'm not saying that works here, because I don't think it does, but it can do if done well.

Kodak's New Logo

Red, yellow, and white--seems kind of McDonalds or Burger King to me. The font is more McDonalds.

Kodak's New Logo

David,

Considering they cancelled their DSLR line to just concentrate on point & shoot (with the exception of some LF sensors for backs), they probably are going after the Mcdonalds crowd.

Kodak's New Logo

Old stuff, ancient history---does anyone remember those Kodak "photo-op" markers that are (were?) located on all the typical postcard panorama view points in every tourist area in the U.S.? They were very easy to identify with the bright yellow and red logos screaming "shoot film here!"

The new logo is nowhere near as effective IMHO. Then again, how much film does Kodak plan on selling to digitally armed tourists?

Ahhh, to be a young lad, newly weaned from mama's milk bar only to find one's self seperated from my parents in a crowd, at the Kodak Hula Show in Waikiki! The old trademarks hold very fond memories for me! ;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Kodak's New Logo

david i see what you mean...

Kodak's New Logo

Rob.....that is perfect!!! ;-)

Kodak's New Logo

LOL

Can I get cheeze on that Kodak burger. Also want fries and a shake.

Ha ha ha

I perfer a nice green Fuji salad instead. HA!

Kodak's New Logo

Given the reception of the last 13.8 Mp DCS Pro SLR/c built on an EF-mount Sigma body, it's probably best that they stay out of DSLRs. B&H had 10 of these in stock a few months ago, and can't seem to sell them at any price. They were about $3000 at the time, now marked down to $2495.95.

Kodak's New Logo

Joakim:

I agree that the new logo is bland - also a bit too safe from a CEO's perspective - also could have been done not by a 23 year old but rather a 10 year old. However - I do feel that it's an improvement over their recent mark & also allows for easy internet usage per Frank's comment.

I of course would have done a totally different style of mark myself - a look that I could easily identify with as well as considering buying as well.

I have been an illustrator in the intellectual property field for almost 30 years. We primarily are technical illustrators but also have done countless trademark drawings for my corporate clients as well as small companies. Although our function is to replicate the original trademark for filing & legal protection purposes I have been exposed to countless examples of what I feel are good or bad logos/trademarks.

A good example would be the "IAMS" pawprint logo for dogfood as a readily identifiable mark without even using words or letters. Another would be "Johnson & Johnson" in script form which has been used for many years & has been slightly tweaked is still essentially the same mark. There is no simple font for this type as the original was done with a combination of brush & ink pen.

My proposal for the mark would have been more simplistic and only use the letter K along with a means to convey imaging; perhaps a gold background with the original 100 year old font "K" in red & then maybe a mirror image to the right with a gold "K" on a red background.

I'm not going to waste more time at this point - just that changing it period was a good thing for them.