Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how many use Durst 138 enlargers

how many use Durst 138 enlargers

I've got one with a 210 lens and all condensers working with 35mm and 5x7 (0r 13x18) putting a 24x36 Leitz in a closet when I got it since I have a very tiny darkroom. Now with 4x5 and 8x10 for contacts I plan to get rid of it and a free gift of an Omega 4x5... living in Sweden.. anyone, it's really a great and huge enlarger... @ a few hunded €.. 5 maybe including lens, not freight thou.. I guess it's not a treat concidering weight and bulk

Re: how many use Durst 138 enlargers

I love both 5x7 Durst condensor system,and also my 8x10 Durst condensor system.Ultimate printing machines in my opinin.Durst took it tothe max.

I have a very clean one formerly used in an ophthalmology research hospital in Detroit. Added to this is a 12x12 Aristo cold light, and 8x10 conversion made by Michael Mutmansky.

John

I have a 138 with an adapted color head, although I only do B/W. The enlarger came that way!
    Michael

New in the club! The 138 with the CLS301 head has just been assembled with a quick dry-run.

But there was no fan with and thus the head was very warm after a short while. Should be easy to rig a household ventilation fan to enlarger duty.

regards
    Morten :-)

I bought one on eBay 2 summers ago, condensor head, and love it so far.

I have used one with the condensor head for a number of years - also have some extras including the condit regisdtration system for it

Regards
    Gord

I have one, but a slightly deferent model, the 139S.
    All the condensers, AGFA colour head mounted on a LAVACO and a Durst cold light source.
    Does someone know where to find (in Europe) the spare bulbs, 200 Watt/220 Volt and 160 mm diameter? I had to take the last one I had today.
    I do prefer the traditional B&W way of working...

Thanks,

Philippe

Hi leec,

Hummm well maybe I should retreat into my dark room and go and cuddle my 138s. Sadly down here on our relatively small island these go to the dump ! So I conned my self into two of them. The first has the old CLS 300 colour head on it with twin 1000 watt lamps – “ don’t half warm up the darkroom on a cold & frosty morning “, it came with a set of wall mount clamps as well all the normal railway stand etc. The lab that had complained that it was tooooooo SSHarp, which is odd as they kept on buying more of the best lens.

The second has the 150 watt big pearl lamp in it and an almost full set of condensers and I have an Ilford blue and green head to go on to it, I have not yet printed from it yet.

For those of you who have not taken one these to bits beware of the springs that carry the head, they have got some grunt.

Despite their age and work that they have done they clean up and readjust pretty much perfectly with no slop or play and while the newer AC range are also beautiful machines these are much simpler to manage.

An f stop controller would be a sensible addition and I do propose to cut back the “ sunburn “ and fit a pair of 24 volt 250 watt lamps to the old lady.

If any of are tempted to get one ( it may well be free ) remember they disassemble into quite small components, I moved one in the back of a Honda Civic hatch back. The condensers can be awkward if the original boxes are missing, none the less they are worth the effort.

Best Regards Rob

Bought one few months ago - condenser head. I will start using it as soon as my darkroom renovation will be completed.