Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calumet made me feel blue

Calumet made me feel blue

Calumet NYC has also gone pretty much digital, with less and less space for conventional equipment and materials. I went there to buy a large Zone VI darkcloth once, which seems to be the largest stock conventional darkcloth on the market, and they only had a few small ones, because they just didn't sell anymore. Fortunately, I can still walk into Photo Gizzmo or Lens and Repro, and they're enthusiastic and supportive.

Chris,

Don't sweat it. I picked up a high end turntable awhile back. I have no problem finding LPs, both new pressings and old. Enjoy. While everyone pays $15-20 on a CD, I find used pressing in pristine condition for a couple of bucks. There is a whole new turntable industry that has been created for people who want it. In fact, there are more high end turntable makers now than 10 years ago. I see the same niche market for film. You will pay for it though. But then again, we all pay for the things we want!

wfwhitaker

Ironically, Calumet is one of the "select dealers" through which Ilford chose to market their special run of ULF film. Try to find it on the Calumet web site, though....

Will, Calumet still sells gobs of sheet film, and provides good support via phone and email, even if the stores are hit-or-miss. What amazed me is that Hunt Photo was listed - it's been years since they've had anything to do with LF, other than perhaps selling a stray box of 4x5 film once in a while.

wfwhitaker

Well, I meant "ironic within the context of the original post". When I lived in the Bay Area I found the SF Calumet store to be a valuable resource and I only wish there were a store like that where I live now. Still, it surprises me that the Ilford ULF film is not listed on their web site (at least, I couldn't find it). Then again, their web site is topic for another thread.

No, the Ilford ULF film isn't listed on the Calumet website, and yeah, the site is also, shall we say, hit-or-miss. I don't know of any photo retailer website other than B&H that combines such comprehensive listings and product information with current stock status. If any other exists, I'd sure like to know about it.

Many pros are being forced to use digital to remain competitive to either time or price constraints. If we amateurs do not have the same contraints, film is better. I can always scan film, and I do, to either send files over the internet to be printed or to share pics with friends or to do manipulations I can`t do in my darkroom. I has its place.

No 12MP will not be better than 4x5. You must remember stores can only stock what they can sell. If you had a store, you would do the same. It is a shame amateurs are being sucked into this digital abiss because it is not cost competitive to most amateurs.

Although I have had great service from Calumet both by phone and at their Boston area store. It is worth noting that Hunt's Photo is also a supplier of ULF Ilford. The film guy I talked to was very eager to offer deals on film.

While Calumet may up front be pushing digital, because of market forces, they continue to stock LF equipment and materials. You can still get from them the old ZVI meter scales made by Picker!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks guys for the encouragement.I do have a Canon 20d and some good glass, but working with this new 4x5 has been much more fun than my digital.