Thread: Linhof Kardan Color

Linhof Kardan Color

Hi,

I am a beginner at large format photography
    I just bought a new camera, the possesion booklet says that it is a Linhof Kardan Color, but on the camera there is no specified name or model except a Linhof sign.
    Could you please help me if i give the serial number written on the booklet because i could not find the serial number neither on the camera

Thanks

Linhof Kardan Color

the serial number is 2622188

Linhof Kardan Color

A search on Google yeilded pictures of a Kardan Color. That camera is pretty distinct looking, so I would go with the visuals as to whether it is or not.
    I used one way back in college, and it was a pretty decent beginning camera, although not well suited for wide angle lenses.

www.craigwphoto.com

Linhof Kardan Color

Thank you for your answer, but it is not the same camera, i think it may be one of the first kardan colors manufactured by Linhof. I am waiting esteemed Bob Salomon to answer. Thanks again.

Linhof Kardan Color

While you wait for specifics from Bob, here is his brief quote on the Kardan Color from an earlier thread:

"The 45 Kardan Color was a totally different camera that was essentially a Technika IV front and rear standard on a rail with a fixed bellows and Technika 45 lens boards." You will also find a review of the camera in the main part of this site if I recall correctly.

This should be a solid camera for you to start with. I have used one both in the field and in the studio (but not for a good 30 years) and found it easy to work with but I did not use it with any wide angle lenses. As Bob will tell you parts are very difficult to find since it has been uot of production so long. Only thing you really need to check closely is to see that the bellows are light tight.

Welcome to large format and good light.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Linhof Kardan Color

Ted, that description would fit the Linhof Color even better!

The Color is just as described, the first Kardan Color (not "S") had a different back with more movements. Those two are very often confuse - especially in ebay listings.

Here is a Kardan Color, while this is probably a mis-identified Color (not Kardan).

Linhof Kardan Color

Unfortunately - Linhof uses the Kardan-designation on all it's monorails, and the color-designation as added name on some of those again.... - as Kardan Color or Color Cardan or whatever.....Bob have written that the very first Linhof Kardan with it's unike kardan joint were only produced very briefly & is very rare, but the Color Kardan following that is quite widespread - produced at least in 5"x7" & 8"x10" it is a HIDEOUSLY heavy camera using a thick-gauge chrome steel monorail with full length brass gear-track on top. Excellent & very solid camera - expect to be rewarded with a troubled back when balancing it into the trunk of the car.... After this model, Linhof produced both the weired "technika on a rail" - Kardan Color that Ole have posted pictures of, and a continuously evolving line of U-frame monorails: all called Kardan: Kardan B, Kardan Bi, Kardan M, Kardan JBL, Kardan Standard, Kardan super + Kardan GT etc..... Some with color in the name as well - so if Bob do not chime in & identify Your camera on basis of the serial number, You may as well post a picture of it for identifying.

Linhof Kardan Color

I have used a color Kardan 45S for 14 years now and I delight in it. It is an easy camera to work with and set, a well built and responsive tool A link to pics of my camera are provided by google on Craig's response form o6 ( I will rephotograph it against a white background). If it is a 45S there are a lot of parts available, because the camera was extensively produced and there are a lot of them out there. Bag bellows make the use of a wide angle much easier even though vigneting will be more of a problem with bag bellows because of the greater movement available. The camera is heavy, it is built like a tank, on the other hand it makes it more durable in the field. It still needs to be treated delicately and with care because it is a precision instrument. The quality of the material used troughout makes it an exceptionaly durable camera. For outdoor work I would recommend the big Bembo Tripod, it will work also well in the studio even though a column on wheels is far superior.
    A very well padded sturdy carry case is a must for field work, the weight of the camera makes it harder to protect. Enjoy

Linhof Kardan Color

That serial number is for a Kardan Color from about 1966.

Sorry it took so long to answer but I had been at CES since the 3rd.