Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: career

career

Rosie, check out TOPA,s (travel and outdoor photographers alliance) website www.t-o-p-a.com. The site will have lots of good information for you to get started without having to start the application process.

TOPA is a professional outdoor photographers group that discusses and shares business issues and protocols applicable to the outdoor market. I would venture to say that the lions share of it's 500 + membership are submitting their work to the Ski, Climbing and Snowboard industry.

David Crossley/Crossley Photography....

career

Whether or not you want to go to school for photography is something that you need to decide. For what you want to do, though, what you need to do is get involved with the scene, people, etc as much as you can and shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot. If this is what you really want to do, work your ass off every day and don't let anyone discourage or stop you.

career

I've seen it stated on this forum that photography is a rich mans (woman's) hobby and a poor mans way of making a living. It really is hard work. It can also be very rewarding. I think how much you make sometimes depends on the click your in. I see photographers whose work is fantastic just getting by, and some make a lot of money with stuff I wouldn't take out of the trash. If you decide to enter the field I would recommend business classes as much as photography.

career

The trouble with photography as a career is that with a little practice and study, expertise is available to everyone and their dog. There's no sense of elitism to being a professional photographer (unless you're a National Geographic photog or an advertising or celebrity portrait photog). To be a photographer, one doesn't have to go to school for eight years and serve internships like medical doctors. Pick up a do-everything digital SLR and wham, you're a photographer. If only becoming a dentist or lawyer were so easy.

career

The trouble with photography as a career is that with a little practice and study, expertise is available to everyone and their dog.

And like any endeavor, some do better work than others. Talent and the ability to maintain a critical perspective, and a willingness to work hard are first requisites. Then you must have the personality to work with clients, and always come through. I know a couple pros who aren't very good at all, but get regular work because the people hiring just plain like working with them. Years ago I knew an uninspired, but hard-working chap who had the whole Catholic diocese in a big city as a client. He put six kids through college with that account.

There's no sense of elitism to being a professional photographer...

True for the most part, but clients often like to point to the pros work in, for example, NG or Sports Illustrated and the like and impose elitism. That's cool. It helps the day rate.

career

It's 90% promoting (selling) yourself and 10% technique. Not unlike most careers.

Michael E. Gordon

career

Pick up a do-everything digital SLR and wham, you're a photographer. If only becoming a dentist or lawyer were so easy.

If you buy a camera, you are a photographer. If you buy a flute, you own a flute.
    ~ Bob Kolbrener

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

career

If you buy a soprano saxophone, you're Kenny G.
    Brian Vuillemenot