Thread: 5x7 back compatibility

5x7 back compatibility

does anyone know if a 5x7 burke and james back (from the battleship grey view camera) will fit a korona 5x7 view. thanks

5x7 back compatibility

Ralph,

The only way to know is measure, but you may be in luck, the Korona is fairly small so most backs can be shaved down to fit.

Good luck with it

アナログ侘・寂

5x7 back compatibility

Ralph,

I don't know whether you have the camera (Korona), and are planning to get the B&J back, or you already have the back and are planning to get the camera. Either way, if you have elementary DIY skills, any adapting shouldn't be too difficult.

I was in a similar situation - I recenty got an old B&J "Watson" camera, with a non-original B&J 5x7 back (grey one).

Now, the camera uses a simple back attachment system - two metal "hooks" on the bottom, and two strips of metal with holes in them on the top ("spring latches"). The back has to have small pins protruding from the edge of the back, which fit into the holes in those "springy" pieces on top. I'm not sure if this is clear enough When it comes to technical terms, my English is somewhat deficient

Anyway, what I did on my B&J 5x7 back was to drill tiny holes in required positions on the back, and insert small brass pins, which protrude about 4-5 mm, just enough to catch on the top spring latches. It was about 1/2 hour of careful work - measurements are important!

However, after 1/2 an hour, my B&J back now fits perfectly

If you need more info, contact me at

dpleic _at_ linux DOT hr

Regards,

Denis

5x7 back compatibility

thanks for the replies, Turns out the back is slightly oversized. It would be pretty simple to pull the pins and cut it down. I do have a back, it's a bit rickety, like the rest of the camera, which I am in the process of regluing, etc. I'll probably see if the back I have will work, if it doesn't, then I'll do something(but the prospect of having a viewing hood for focusing, which the B&J back has is tempting). This is my first venture into large format and am in the process of cobbling together an outfit. I'm currently using medium format with an old galvin view and a baby graphic. I thought I'd skip the 4x5 (although the Korona also has a 4x5 back) with the intention of contact printing B&W. Wish me luck. Thanks again.