Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joel's Thread Temporarily Removed from View

Joel's Thread Temporarily Removed from View

You prove my point once again, another personal insult.

You take it any way you want......You certainly dont get to say anything you want and get away with it just because you are a woman.

This forum used to be noted for civility. Recently it seems to have been hijacked by - as Jim suggested - bored children. Maybe the best thing to do would be to shut it down for a while so those people will go find a new hobby.

enough's enough.

the moderator says the thread is only removed temporarily. We should take him at his word. Enciting him to remove this thread as well is only likely to result in both threads being removed permanently. Its your call.

The problem has become one-upmanship rather than sharing knowledge.

Many people seem to be scouring the threads looking for something they can pounce on to show they are more knowledgeable or that their method is superior.

It is as if their sole source of career esteem is this anonymous facsimily of noteriety you get here.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Lets say that someone in the public sector is interested in a particular photographer (marketing a personality does work) and this individual (or gallery) does a simple search to understand the artist a bit better. You know, get a feel for their perspective of how they view the universe and how their images transcend one to this special calm place of contemplation and purpose.

They Google this individual(s) name and discover to their surprise that the person that they are wanting to learn more of has a long history of off color commentary affixed for the ages that overshadows any attempt to discover the possible softer side of the person. Like meeting Mike Tyson when you were expecting to shake hands with Ghandi.

Anyone that thinks that for a second that they are immune from this personal or professioanl scrutiny just needs to stop and think about what hole that they are digging for themselves.

I am sure that Ansel was not perfect, but the legacy we are left with is one of respect for everyone no matter how divergent their opinion. Use your head and reserve the emotion for your photographs.

Cheers!

The problem has become one-upmanship rather than sharing knowledge.

It takes two to tango Kirk. This recent flame out was mainly caused by Mr. Simmons telling Rob his information was useless because "thousands of photographers do not care about that." Followed by the comment that these kinds of forums are full of worthless technical information.

I prefer to give the person asking the question the benefit of the doubt and think he/she is intelligent enough to discern which information is useful to them and which is not. But, IMO, no information no matter how detailed it is, is "worthless" and in many cases it is the basis to solve the problems which gave rise to the question.

Maybe we should all be warm and cuddly, like Jim Marshall or something.

There was some useful information in the thread about the testing that different people have done on their filmholders. There was also some useful information on the difference between the dedicated holders and the Polaroid holders.

Most of this information was available elsewhere---I think Ellis Vener reported tests of this kind on this very forum years ago, with similar results to Paul's. But it was still useful information, quite likely to be sought out by someone with an intermittent focus problem looking to rule out possible sources. It'd be a pity to lose it. I say just let it stand. If someone wants to be known on the forum as the one who freaks out when questioned, or loses it when certain topics come up, so be it. I simply stopped reading when the thread got crazy.

Someone on the thread, though, mentioned that it was reminiscent of a Brian M******head thread, and it was. It would be better for everyone if he was not the new role model for community members.

I understand your point Jorge, but as I have told Steve many times, nothing, absolutely nothing, is achieved in these confrontations. Responding to an attack does not set the record straight, nor does it ever solve anything. Responding only escalates the rhetoric and continues till the participants are bored with it. I don't think anyone wins or accomplishes anything, but making us all look like a bunch of sub-culture wackos.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

from Jorge

"It takes two to tango Kirk. This recent flame out was mainly caused by Mr. Simmons telling Rob his information was useless because "thousands of photographers do not care about that." Followed by the comment that these kinds of forums are full of worthless technical information. "

This is another complete misrepresentation of what i said. Jorge does this a lot. The name of the game is get Steve and View Camera magazine. He has a personal grudge which he acts out almost everytime I post something. I did not start the name calling in the thread.

There is a tendency here, and on some other threads as well to put out techie info and insult people who either do not know the same info or who do not subscribe to the belief that it is necessary to know this info. It is like I know this and I am superior to those who do not know or do not believe. It is demagoguery. The same thing occurred a few weeks ago in a thread about fim testing. Sandy King made a locker room slur against me that was allowed to stand.It keeps people from particiapting on this forum. I have pointed this out many times and either the flamers ignore me or want a list of names. The problem is that when I told Jorge who the first reviewer was who thought his article was badly done he became vulgar and abusive. I do not feel like subjecting other people to his behavior. It is totally unprefessional and very ugly.

I hope the moderators will quickly delete any posts in the future that contains any type of name calling at all.

The moderating here has been too loose IMHO. If the moderators will go back and look at who started the name calling they will see it was not me.

steve simmons