Thread: Travel trip

Travel trip

I am looking for a travel tripod that will support a Technika. This is for airplane travel, so compact is critical, but I do not care as much about weight, i.e., I do not want to spend an extra $250 just to shave off a pound or so. I am also interested in a head, so the combo will put the camera at least 48" off the ground with no center column. A four section folder would be the best bet. Sturdy is good, and cheap is good - this is for occasional use. Mostly I travel by car and haul my big tripod. For hiking I have a Leitz tiltall that works fine. This is just to make a kit I can pack on the plane and carry around at the other end with the least trouble. I will add in the Technika, a readyload holder, and some sheets of film, and a meter to make a compact kit.

Travel trip

I use an older four-section metal Gitzo 326 (like the current 1326) model that I found on the bay for less than $200. It is compact (less than 28 inches) and fits into most cases. With the ceneter column I can go over 72 inches tall, which is handy for many shots. I also use an Arca-Swiss head which may blow your budget, but the Gitzo ball heads are sturdy and compact - if not as nice as an Arca - they are very usable.

Travel trip

I use a Master Technika. I take two tripods on long trips in case one gets lost or breaks. One is a Bogen 3221 with an Arca Swiss head. That's the one for emergency use only, I don't really like the ball head for LF photography but it's compact (28" with the head attached) and fits in my normal size hard shell suitcase. The other is a Gitzo 1325 with a Bogen geared head. It's about 32" with the head attached and probably would fit in the suitcase if I removed the head but I put it in a Gitzo tripod carrying case and check it. None of this is inexpensive but the Bogen 3221 isn't bad and of course you could put a less expensive head on it than the Arca Swiss.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Travel trip

When I posed a similar question (see the archives) some months ago Bob Salomon replied:

"Linhof Profi-Port is 18" closed and opens to 59".

My needs were very specific in that I wanted something that I could carryon in a standard rollaboard bag (20" internally max).

I bought a Profi-Port and it is perfect for my purposes. I have used it with 4x5 fields up to 6++ pounds and have not had any problems. At full extension it is a bit less stable than I would want under optimal conditions but at your 48" there are no center columns extended and it is rock solid. Further, folded it is even shorter than Bob mentioned by a tiny bit. It is by far the best solution I have ever found for a travel pod. As for a head, there are many choices but you might want to look at the Accratech Ball head.

Best of all, the Profi-Port has been closed out by HP Marketing in the US (but NOT discontinued by Linhof). You can buy it direct from HP for ~ 200 or B&H or any dealer IF they still have them in stock. B&H no longer seems to have stock. $200 is around half price or less and I have had mine for several months so no idea if there are any left at HP but worth a call to Bob.

Travel trip

Looks like the new model is now in stock at about $200. Looks very good.

Travel trip

have a look at a slik 700dx

slik 700dx

without the head it 25.2 inches folded, with head its 29.9 inches

the head is the same as I use and I think its very good. Mine is on a manfrotto 055 tripod which is similar.

you would need to ask for the 3/8 release plate instead of the standard 1/4 inch plate.

the pan and tilt levers screw out for flatter packing if necessary and the tripod and head is only $130. A bargain for a good quality tripod and very good head.

Travel trip

I have a little Hakuba carbon fiber that will do what you have in mind. They're about $300 including head and rated for 15 pounds which might be a bit optimistic but its plenty stout for a Technika. HG 504 MX or HG 503 MX, 4 and 3 section legs, 22 and 26 inches closed, respectively. Just under 4 pounds including head.

Travel trip

Ed I too have a Leitz tiltall and I carry it on airplanes. I just take the handles off, put it in an old style hard suitcase and place it in with the checked luggage.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis