Thread: When is the next Pt/Pd seminar?

When is the next Pt/Pd seminar?

While I'm in the alt mode, I need to take a good, thorough seminar in Pt/Pd printing. I see Photographer's Formulary has one in August, but I don't want to wait that long. Any suggestions?

Bruce, I don't know where you are located, but if Connecticut is convenient, you might consider a day one-on-one with Carl Weese. Check out his work at carlweese.com. I spent a full day with Carl, and think I learned at least as much as I would have in a week in a larger seminar.

Carl's work is one reason I'm interested in Pt/Pd. Because of his article in Photo Techniques several years ago, I started using Pyro. I have the Pt/Pd book written by him and Richard Sullivan, and I think Ziatype is the approach I want to try first.
    But since I live in Louisiana, it would be difficult to justify flying to Conn. for just a 1-2 day workshop, since I would be starting from scratch with experience only in silver printing.

Oh just jump in and buy the kit from Bostick and Sullivan. Call Daniel Smith supplies in Seattle and get some Arches Palatine paper. Get a couple of bulbs and holders from Graingers and a contact frame. There's so much info on the internet and the folks at B&S are very helpful. This just isn't a difficult process. I use dig negs (Burkholder method), expose for 12 minutes and the prints are great. Now I know that there are millions of opinions and techniques but blah, blah blah. Just do and you'll learn. Yes it's a fairly costly deal but what the hell, it's loads of fun and EASY. And like the man said, if you gotta ask how much it costs you can't afford it.

Clay

Bruce,

I may doing a weekend workshop in January or February in Houston. Send me an email and I will let you know if it goes.

Clay

www.clayharmon.net

I can't help with the time delay. If you live in the Northeast, Peters Valley has one this summer. It's taught by Tillman Crane. Peters Valley is in Northwest NJ and is the best value to be found in photo workshops.

They have other subjects too. Some couples come and one will take a photo course and the other, blacksmithing, pottery, fine metals, woodworking etc. All going on that the same time. It's an interesting mix and very well done.

Tillman offers one on one lessons just about anytime. All in Camden Maine.

I spent a day with Carl last year, and recommend it highly.

In recent years, he has improved and simplified several key methods: While the book is still quite valid and helpful, it deserves a revised edition in my humble opinion.

Bruce,

Leonard is right that Pt/Pd is fundamentally a simple process. Especially if you work directly from in-camera negatives (the only way I do Pt/Pd). You can certainly do OK jumping in with both feet on your own--that's what I did years ago. But many people find a bit of basic instruction before taking the leap will help the swimming go smoother. I'm sure Clay, nearby in Texas, would be helpful and maybe this thread will bring up some other workshop possibilities around the country.

I'm a little puzzled by the emphasis on expense. Making individual Pt/Pd prints is certainly time consuming compared to silver printing, but materials are really not that bad unless you happen to get your palladium during a price spike. In fact, the materials, ink and specialty paper, for fine inkjet printing cost about as much as palladium prints. Either one is somewhere in the range of $1.25 to $2.00 per 8x10 unit of area---Carl

I have Intro to Pt/Pd workshops coming up in April (Yosemite Nat'l Park) and May (Placerville, CA). Go here for more info: www.kerik.com and click on the Workshops link.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion