Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Faces of demonstrators caught on film

Faces of demonstrators caught on film

Clayton,

Bet the FBI loves those!:-)

This area has gotten complicated in the last decade. At one time it was clear you could take pictures of people in public places, as long as you were not putting them in a false light - a picture of guy just going to work who was portrayed as a protestor might be an issue. Some states have passed privacy laws that limit the use of photos taken in public places and use for things other than news. While the target is advertising, fine art is in limbo because the courts have not clearly said that fine art photography is a first amendment activity. At some point one of these state laws will make it to the Supreme Court and we will get some guidance.

"I am distressed that the editorial legitimacy of small "insignificant" publications with target audiences limited to tradesmen or fraternal organizations aren't "professional" enough for big shot photojournalists to deem as being anything but fraudulent poseurs, but that just goes to show why the news (especially overseas news) I get from a few carefully chosen blogs beats any of the inaccurate garbage the newspapers and networks seek to thrill the public with...."Take it easy, John :-)

If you have any kind of legit press credentials, no matter how small the publication, then there is no problem. You need credentials for the authorities, for the police sergeant or supervisor cordoning off the area, not for anyone else. Even ucredentialed photographers are free to shoot in these situations...this is the USA, after all. Most so-called 'big shot photojournalists' do not give a hill of beans who you work for, as long as you know how to function in such highly-strung situations where a bit of experience on how to react if things go south can also help your colleagues.

Over the years I have been on the receiving end of rocks, bottles, bullets and police batons in many a country. Interestingly, the US cops have often been the worst toward photographers on scene. For instance, in Washington DC a few years ago during anti-IMF demos, I saw police officers not only beat photographers but also spray gas directly into their eyes. This happened to my friend Michael Williamson, a top Washington Post photographer who has won two Pulitzers and numerous other awards for his work, who was targeted by a DC cop who deliberately and with malicious glee sprayed Michael in his eyes. He did not see properly again for almost a year. If the cops get restless, get out of the area fast. You will get arrested or worse. I always carried a riot kit for these situations, with a bottle of water, some limes and a bandanna. If you get gassed the limes help counteract the burning of the chemical reaction on your skin.

Here are a couple of photos from demos

http://www.digitalrailroad.net/DVN/Frameset.aspx?bwid=373&cdsid=c006cf86-669f-40af-81c0-110bedd748e7&rcp=14

http://www.digitalrailroad.net/DVN/Frameset.aspx?bwid=373&cdsid=c006cf86-669f-40af-81c0-110bedd748e7&rcp=14

http://www.digitalrailroad.net/DVN/Frameset.aspx?bwid=144&cdsid=c006cf86-669f-40af-81c0-110bedd748e7&rcp=14

http://www.digitalrailroad.net/DVN/Frameset.aspx?bwid=762&cdsid=c006cf86-669f-40af-81c0-110bedd748e7&rcp=14

As for picture use, as a previous poster said, you do not need releases for an exhibition or a book as long as the images are not used for advertising or commercial use.

Good luck!

[i]credentials help the police discern your independedence with either side if things go down wrong

What planet do you live on?[-i]

Admittedly, my only experience with outdoor crowds during a protest was a parade that was being escourted by NY State Troopers (who I believe are better trained than many local police) . Upon seeing my camera from a distance one trooper gestured me off to the side to where I would have a good perspective (as if he knew what I wanted) and gestured others in the street near me to another location wherre they weren't in my way. At the time I was just an amateur arriving on the scene unexpectedly and the tag around my neck was a security from a technical conference I had just attended that had nothing to do with photography . I had forgotten it was there but apparently I was treated as a pro by the trooper because of it. Thats when I learned that looking like press can get you places.

I would think a large measure of common sense should prevail in determining when you should back off. As previously stated: "[i]start to tap their batons against their shields[-i]" is a good time to use common sence.

I've seldom used any kind of tag ID, because I'm more of a landscape /wilderness or studio/ technical type of guy. But I have a tag that merely has my name/photo/ address and the words "freelance photographer" printed on it. That has been adequate for my needs.

On another note: I have talked at length to a photojournalist who for his assignments practices "immersion jounalism" and tries to never show his credentials. Carries more that one digital camera, some of them are hidden, and takes pictures of everything everywhere and then lets someone else determine if they should be published or not. He also makes verbal notes into a digital sound recorder and "sometimes I just forget to turn it off and you would be amazed at what it picks up."

Talk about Legal concerns....

John and Ed

where I live in New Zealand we don't have the same freedom you guys in the "land of the free" have, so we basically do as we please if you get my drift. We aren't over regulated or spied on!

John I developed my system over a few years, no it's not a Cirkut camera but a modern very lightweight rotating camera that shoots 120/220 film. The neg frames are 12+ inches long. The secret to the system is a lightweight telescoping pole I use to get the camera above everyones heads. The camera is fired with a remote control.

When shooting I get into the middle of the crowd and can erect the pole while standing shoulder to shoulder with people all around.

I ignore all the press shooters and likewise they do the same with me. I do get strange looks though when the camera goes up. The camera doesn't look like anything you've seen so I think the looks are more curiosity.

Clayton

Yeah but you live in paradise so there is nothing to protest except the French nuclear tests and whatnot

Happy New Year to everyone. I'd like to clarify a few terms used in this thread. A credential or "press pass" is issued by an event coordinator such as a trade show, sport event etc. This gives you certain access that the public doesn't have. The event people control who they give their pass to. In John's case, the media he would represent would need to apply to the event for a "press pass" for him. You can also apply to the same event as a freelance photographer. Access to their event is controlled by them and not the media.

The media doesn't issue press passes since they aren't running the show. The media issue company/employee ID's that identify you as an employee of their company. It alone doesn't get you in to anything unless the event coordinator wants to let you in. Try using a fake ID at a 49er game and you'll see what I mean. What you don't want to do as a fake is run into another photographer with real company ID. BIG trouble because that gives the photographer/company problems if you do something stupid. You'll always get turned in.

Certain organizations and places such as State Police, government buildings (capitols) etc. my issue a photo ID to you but is only designed to identify you to them. Again, it doesn't automatically guarantee you "pass" to their areas if they don't want you in there.

You don't need any ID to shoot a public event and there won't be an organization to apply to for one. As mentioned above, sometimes it is in your best interests to blend into the crowd. I used to work with Michael out here in California and know he would have acted professionally. Sometimes others see the media as the problem and the ID's around your neck make you a target. That is why you will usually see credentials on a breakaway chain and not something that resembles a shoelace. You don't want to give a potential enemy anything to grab on to. When you see a media photog with several ID's around their neck, they are ID's from their company and a few other organizations along with the date specific event-issued pass.

Never print a fake ID. It is illegal just like printing fake concert tickets. Event passes issued by event coordinators are so temporary to that event, you wouldn't have time to copy them. Most security personnel are used to the passes issued by the event sponsor. If you are trying to gain access with a fake ID to a government press conference or something similar, know that the police are used to seeing the ID issued by a specific paper or TV station and usually recognize the photographer. Some photographers cover "beats" like a state capitol or regular team sport. Samples of all media issued ID's are on file with law enforcement so they can be familiar with them. If yours is a fake, you are asking for trouble. In the mind of law enforcement, if you need a fake ID to gain access to something, you must be up to no good. Remember, terrorists have fake ID's and that is what police see.

The media doesn't issue press passes since they aren't running the show.

From the late sixties and on I worked in Chicago and environs as a press photographer. The City created and regulated press passes. Sometimes the passes helped, sometimes they did not.

I'm not sure who "runs" a public protest, or riot.

Having worked for a local paper I know that they do issue "press creditinals" these will get into secure police locations I.e.accident scenes, weather related, and other news worthy events that occur in public locations so the authorities can identify those who belong there and the sight seers. These credintals are also used to secure "press passes" for events that are in private locations I.e. hotair ballon races, hill climbs, sporting events. Most of these locations will not issue you a pass if you do not represent a specific organization.

Thanks

Mike

To clarify again, photogs are issued Press ID's by their employers and sometimes other entities such as law enforcement. Anyone can call them a pass if they want to but they don't guarantee access anywhere that people who are in control of an event want you to be. They are simply ID's. Media credentials (passes) are issued by organizations to such events as political conventions, sport events, trade shows etc. Usually these passes need to be applied for in advance by the news organization because event organizers want to control the number of people attending from any one media company. There may be limited floor space etc. That's sometimes why organizations "pool" their photogs.

Most pro sport teams for example, issue two photo credentials per outlet. It is up to the paper to assign their two "passes" each week among their staff. Your media ID is usually required for secure events to match with your name on their list when you arrive to pick up your pass.

Once again, your media ID doesn't automatically get you into anything. Over the years, I've had police, Secret Service etc. say "I don't care who you're with, you ain't goin' in". It's their call. I've had events where the public had better visibility or access than the media who were confined to a paddock etc.

Since 9/11 I've heard that a lot of municipalities etc. have stopped issuing press ID's because nobody wants to be responsible for counterfeit or fraudulently issued ID's. Here in Calif. the Cal Hwy Patrol (state police) stopped issuing them last year.

My main point was that counterfeit or fake ID's or press/event passes are wrong and illegal. It will only take one bad incident from a fake ID'd person to jeopardize our relationship with authorities.