Thread: tripod for a 4x5 conley

tripod for a 4x5 conley

Hi to all members. I have recently bought a 4x5 conley in a perfect condition. it came with a leather box and 5 original film holders. I have one concern with using my regular tripod Bogen 3023. Although screw fits it feels like the front belows needs more support (it actually has a screw hole ) to take pressure off of the hinges. I designed a wooden plate with all kinds of improvisations but since I don't have a workshop for such fine carpentery, I wonder if there are any old tripods designed for this cameras, or if anyone hasz a better idea for me. I also wonder if anyone knows what are the metal parts made of and what wood is used for these models so I can figure the best way to maintain its condition for another hundred years ! Excuse my spelling, I'm not native speaker and my dictionary is not here...

tripod for a 4x5 conley

Many old tripods did have a circular top which provided more support than most modern tripods. Something is wrong, though, if you find that there is pressure on the hinges that are too much for them. A 4 X 5 Conley is a very light camera and the weight on the hinges should be mijnimal. The old tripods with big circular tops are hazardous and would not be a good answer to your situation.

Most cameras of the Conley's time used brass, nickel plated in the case of a Conley, for most of their metal parts. Steel was used for some parts. Aluminum was little used because it was expensive at the time. It was found most often as shutter cases. The way to tell the difference is to use a small magnet which will stick to steel but not to brass or aluminum.. The most common wood for hand cameras was mahogany, but cherry was also common, particularly when large pieces werre needed as in the case of view cameras. My recollection is that Conley used cherry even for their hand cameras, but that may be incorrect. Other types were used less frequently.

tripod for a 4x5 conley

The above is from an early tripod top setup. It is tilted in this picture. Normally the swung part is flat with the other. You can see how it lends greater support for cameras like the Conley, and allows tilt as well. Very simple to make, and they also show up for auction from time to time.