Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Contemporary Female Vision of the Landscape

A Contemporary Female Vision of the Landscape

Odd, no one has brought up Paula Chamlee, who has given us lot of pretty darn great landscapes IMHO.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Odd, no one has brought up Paula Chamlee, who has given us lot of pretty darn great landscapes IMHO.

Or lots of darn pretty landscapes...Although if truth be told, she's probably the far more interesting photographer than hubby

Ha Paddy and I agree on something. No offense to MS, but I always found his spouse's photos better too.

And I thought was just me. Nice to see someone else likes hers better.

One of my favorite contemporaries is Linda Butler (which no one yet has mentioned) - she shoots a "Paul Strand-ish" mixture of images in black&white in (mostly) large format. I don't hear her name mentioned that often, and I am really not sure why that is. While I think her landscapes and architecture shots are very good, her detailed still life images are her real strong suit (and I think she has a a real knack for putting together cohesive collections of images that really capture the soul of her subjects).

Paula is mentioned in the original post, if you had bothered to read it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Look up the work of Evelyn Hofer. She did a series of books in the '60s about various cities... "London Percieved", a collaboration with the writer V.S. Pritchett, is my favorite. Landscapes (or urbanscapes) and people, and very well done too

My apologies! I did read the original post, but when I come to a lot of names, everythiing starts looking fuzzy to me (I have this problem with my roll sheets at school, too!)

However I think Paula's work is certainly worth mentioning more than once when is comes to large format landscapes.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I don't think anyone's mentioned Sally Mann. She does primarily landscape these days.

www.craigwphoto.com

Re: A Contemporary Female Vision of the Landscape

Hi Eric
    I was thinking the same thing...'"Why are there so few Women Landscape Photographers?" It seems like a male field only....I am a women landscape photographer my photographic label is Bellavista2...'Italian for Beautiful View", I can be found at Rebubble. Ihave been searching forever it seems to find a women landscape photographer who is serious. I keep finding women who post their family photos, fluffy teddies and flowers in the landscape section! Frustrating!!!;=]