Thread: Cleaning wet-mounted negatives in scanning?

Cleaning wet-mounted negatives in scanning?

I have been very pleased with the results in scanning wet-mounted negatives, using Kami drum scanner mounting solution. My work has been to this point on a glass mount using the Leafscan 45 scanner with 6X9cm negatives, but my basic question applies to all wet-mounting. What is the best way to clean the negatives and glass mount after scanning is completed? I have tried various solutions, some of which are sold with the claim that no clean-up is necessary, but in every case I have found residue on the film and glass.

I see subtle but very real advantages in wet-mounting, but the clean-up issue is vexing.

Any thoughts for a no-brainer method fo cleaning the class and negative (and no risk for the latter)?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Abuser of God's Sunlight

most of the residue will probably evaporate in a few hours. what remains is oil or other muck that was already on the neg ... the scanning fluid disolved it, moved it around and then deposited when it evaporated.

i find that pec-12 does a great job ... it cleans up any scanning fluid that i'm too impatient to wait for, and it cleans up any oil based grime that the scanning fluid leaves behind.

What I remember about Kami is that Aztek recommends that you hang the film and let the Kami fluid evaporate from the film. They claim no residue. I use the Prazio drum scanner products, so I can't speak to how well that technique works

If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, you can always clean the film with a film cleaner (Kami has one, Pec-12 works, Prazio sells one too). Typical technique is to spray the film and wipe it clean with a scanner wipe. Rotate the wipe as you go to lift any crud up and away from the film. Don't scrub. Use the wipe for exactly one pass, then toss it - to do otherwise is to invite scratches.

Clean the scanner glass with Kami drum cleaner. It will disolve the mounting fluid, any tape residue, finger prints, and all that, and facilitate its evaporation - actually evaporates faster than the mounting fluid which is hard to believe with Kami ;-) Drum cleaner should leave your glass absolutely spotless.

Note that drum cleaner isn't the same thing as film cleaner. They have different uses. Use the film cleaner to clean film, and the drum cleaner to clean the scanner glass. Don't interchange them.

Bruce Watson

Bruce, how do you compare the Prazio to the kami?

My only comment is, the Kami cleaner, if it works, is has much less odor then the PEC12, although the pec12 will clean just about anything, just be sure to use it in well ventilated area...

Bill,

My context is as a drum scanner operator. For mounting large format film to a flat bed, either should work for you. According to the respective MSDSs, both are naptha based. The primary difference is that the Kami fluid evaporates more quickly. If you work slowly this might be a problem, but I doubt it.

While Pec-12 does have a smell that some people object to, *all* of these chemicals should be used with good ventilation. It's not the smell that does the damage ;-)

Bruce Watson

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i've had good results with aztec fluid. haven't used kami, but i've been told aztec evaporates more slowly (which means it might be a bit safer ... won't put as high a concentration of fumes in the air). i personally like the slow evaporation rate, because scanning is a slow process for me, and sometimes i have problems with the fluid evaporating too quickly and letting the film dry out in the corners. i imagine a faster drying formula would make this happen more often (but would also be more efficient for someone who can mount and scan much faster than i can).

Paul, I think you are referring to mounting fluid, not cleaning fluid, right?

If so, I was not aware Aztek sold any mounting fluid, other than Kami? Only Kami is shown on their web site?

Doug Dolde

Re: Cleaning wet-mounted negatives in scanning?

I don't clean the trannies at all. The Kami evaporates real fast. For cleaning the glass plate I normally just use a wet sponge and dish detergent unless there is tape residue then I first use Kami drum cleaner.

Re: Cleaning wet-mounted negatives in scanning?

I use Kami fluid for wet mounting and it does evaporate very quickly. However, despite claims to the contrary, it does leave a slightly visible residue on my 4x5 transparencies. I use Kami film cleaner and the residue comes right off.