Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Archival inkjet *papers* (not ink). Do they exist?

Archival inkjet *papers* (not ink). Do they exist?

"So don't use adhesives. Nobody advises the use of any adhesive as an "archival" solution anymore, not even wheat paste. Use polyester or mylar photo corners instead."

It was nothing to do with mounting methods - which haven't been mentioned. Nor was it a question of "not using adhesives" - rather it was a problem with incidental or short term contract with some types of adhesives. As I mentioned, the tape the manufacturer used to fix the end of a roll - which [art of the roll is normally "wastage" effected not just where it was stuck on, but also three or four layers down in the roll, leaving a bright yellow stain gradually fading the deeper the layer. Use of adhesive tape in packaging prints - say masking tape on paper wrapped around mounted prints could have the same effect. I saw it happen from an assistant leaving a roll of tape on top of a pile of unprinted paper overnight. A couple of days later, the circular "pictogram" of the tape roll showed up on 5 consecutive sheets - nice and bright yellow. I've seen reports of the same bright/warm yellow could showing up over a whole sheet. No idea what the sheets came into contact with that caused it.

All that said, the manufacturer seems to have fixed the problem in the paper as I haven't heard of it showing up for a while now.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I am pretty new to the game, as I have abandoned the dark room for the "light". I see many advantages to going the route of the digital darkroom but issues of archivability and yellowing look to be a real problem. I am a fine art photographer, that has sold many prints to clients over the years and have never had these issues because I took the necessary precautions [in the darkroom]. In my quest to change directions, my biggest questions have to do with what all of you are discussing. However, I have found it very difficult to discern what the options are. Is Matte paper the only option? Matte papers are dull and have no snap to them. Please tell me if I am wrong. It seems the industry has been quick to rush us into an era of dull, flat prints that have no archivabilty. Like all manufacturers, products are hiped up and we all rush to them thinking they will provide us with the perfection we seek.

Can anyone tell me what paper (matte, glossy, semi), ink, adhesive, spray or coating combinations will help me make prints that will last a long time without falling apart or yellowing? I don't want to have to go back to the days of underselling my talents. I can only command the prices that I ask for if the images are archival. What do I need to use in production and post production to insure that I will not have these problems? If there is no answer, I might have to open up the darkroom again. However, for now, it is so nice to be back in the "light".

I look to your comments.

Charles, you could start by reading the thread you have just posted in!

As an aside to the topic, my local Art Gallery/Framing shop have told me that they are not going to sell any more "Giclee Prints". The reason given is that they are dragging the business down. Buyers don't want them and they end up being sold off in sales at much reduced prices. Original artwork sells better and for a lot more. Many of their artists have invested in wide format printers so that they can produce their own prints and they are not happy. The gallery doesn't sell photography so I'm talking about giclees of oils, watercolours, pastels etc.

I don't know if this is indicative of the way the market will go as its only one gallery in the sticks in the UK, but if its happening here where people aren' t so clued up on what Giclee Prints are then I guess its happening elsewhere as well.

For Charles Boyer:

Charles, it is unfortunate that there is so much confusion, myth and speculation about inkjet prints and how long they will last. And I agree with many people here, given the cost of printers, ink and paper, and the major investment that HP, Epson and others are making, it really shouldn't be this complicated -- but then again, if pigs could fly . . . .

You can look at my earlier post about what I found in researching this issue and what I'm working with (Moab and Crane matte papers with UV spray). I trust that if displayed and cared for properly my prints should last a long time -- but I'm basing this on "excelerated testing" that others have done, not on the fact that others did the same thing 100 years ago and I now can see the results.

And its unfortuate that most all of this testing is being done by one firm: wilhelm research http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ Not that I'm questioning their methods or results, only that it seems that almost all of what we know about inkjet print longevity is coming from one source.

Having said that, you should take a look on their web site, and see what longevity results they're getting for some of the HP and Epson printers. I use Epson with matte papers by choice, but I've seen good numbers from HP and Epson for gloss-like papers. And I really like the look of the HP premium plus soft gloss paper. Like matte, but with a bit of punch.

Whatever way you go, I suggest:
    not skimping on ink and paper--buy manufactures' or reputable third-party,
    consider protective spray,
    always frame or suggest this to your clients.

Note sure if that's helpful, but . . . .

David.

and read this thread