Thread: Experience with MCS Format Frames

Experience with MCS Format Frames

I'm having a show in April and am searching for an inexpensive way to display some of my prints. A friend suggested MCS Format Frames. I looked at them on the Web---16x20 black plastic frames that are dirt cheap. Some smaller too.

Has anyone ever used these frames and what do you think of them?

thanks,

steve
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Dear Steve,

They are inexpensive and they will accept a mat. Not particularly robust. The ones I purchased had a one piece injection molded back (probably polyethylene, possibly polypropylene) and the glazing (I think it was glass, but I'm not sure any more) snapped in the front over some tabs. Things had to be shimmed up to make everything right. You definitely get what you pay for but I needed quite a few for photos that were to be given away. They fit the bill nicely.

Stop at a "Hobby Lobby". They have them there.

Neal Wydra

Scott Davis

Personally, I think they are too flimsy and cheap-looking. Unless they've modified them significantly since I last used them, I don't recall them being deep enough to take both a mat and glass... unless you're using 2ply for both mat and backing board. They're a good way to frame a borderless color print or poster that you don't particularly care about the survival of. I've seen people use them at shows and in my opinion they look like you are trying to cut corners. I know it will be more money than the MCS frames, but I'd recommend just a sheet of glass (better, plexiglass, since the edges won't be sharp) and corner clips over them. You can find clip frames at most frame and art supply stores, and they're probably in the same section with the MCS frames, so you can see them side-by-side. When I say clip frames, I mean the plastic or metal clips that hold the glass over the mat and backing sandwich, not the frames that have a piece of MDF board and a glass sheet. While the glass on those is nice because it has beveled edges, the clips don't have enough give to accomodate a mat between the glass and MDF board, unless you just hinge the image to the mat directly (not recommended) and only use a 2-ply mat board.

Another option would be to pick a very simple black aluminum molding from someplace like http://www.misterart.com/ - they have some basic, clean Nielsen moldings for really cheap prices.

Thanks for the feedback.

I definitely want to cut corners and the prints I am using them for are going to be borderless. On top of that I want to display them in a grid with one frame touching the next.

I guess I should just buy a couple and experiment first hand.

steve
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Yes, I've used these quite a bit. Because they're cheap! They're often at sale at AC Moore. I've seen the 11x14" frames selling for $3.50 or so.

Just a few caveats:

1. Quite often the plastic "frames" or the glass "glazing" are chipped. Keep your receipt. Open each frame ASAP after purchase. Check the glass and the plastic. Return the bad ones.
    2. You will not be able to use a standard 8-ply mat. A 4-ply mat should work.
    3. You will need to carefully clean the glazing on each frame. Windex and a paper towel and about 60 seconds of elbow grease should do the trick.

Offhand they're quite elegant considering the cost. Not gallery quality, but for less critical work, or for gifts (etc.) they can be quite effective.