Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lenses, the best of best

lenses, the best of best

Hi all
    I'd like to hear from all of you about the "best of best lens" you ever used with your large format camera (4x5; 5x7; 5x10).

If possible share with me the "Best of Best".

But feel free also (if you prefer) tell me your opinion about "the best of best in Wide-angle lenses"; “the best oh best normal lens" or the "best of best tele lens".

What reasons for your choice?

I wish you a happy New Year.
    Thanks.

lenses, the best of best

My favorite lenses that I've used are Fujinons. I own a 210W and a 300W and I love the results I get from them. But I've always wanted to try a Goerz Dagor and one of the new Super Symmars. Unfortunately my pocketbook isn't that deep.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

lenses, the best of best

Cooke Optics XVa

lenses, the best of best

I shoot 4x5 and 8x10 in order to make big enlargements (40x50 inches) using both chrome and B&W film. With this goal in mind, here is my "best of the best" list, assuming price is not an object!

4x5

Ultra wide: SA58XL (the Grandagon 55 reportedly has better MTF performance, but the SA shares a common center filter with the 80 and 110 SSXL's)

Wide: Super Symmar XL 80 and 110 (sharp, lightweight, ample coverage, good flare resistance)

Normal: APO Sironar-S 150 (lightweight, sharp, ample coverage)

Moderate long: Fuji 240A (ultra light, sharpest lens I've ever used, both close-up and at infinity. Amazing!)

Medium long: Fuji 450C (perhaps not as sharp close-up as a plasmat, but just as sharp at infinity)

Long: Fuji 600C (sharper than the Nikkor or Fuji telephoto's, although I prefer the APO Tele Xenar listed below on a larger camera whenever possible)

8x10

Ultra wide: SS110XL (only modern lens available this wide which covers)

Wide: Super Symmar XL 150 and 210 (the SS210XL is a beast, but I use 8x10 only on short hikes anyway)

Normal: 300 and 360 APO Sironar-S (sharp, contrasty image, reportedly excellent bokeh)

Medium long: APO Symmar-L 480 (better close-up performance than the Fuji 450C)

Long: APO Tele Xenar 600/800 convertible (sharper than the Nikkor or Fuji telephotos, albeit must be used with a 5x7 or larger camera)

Honorable mention: Cooke Series XVa 311/476/646 convertible (compact 8x10 travel/hiking lens. Best flare resistance of any lens I've used, dual cell configuration (311mm) as sharp as my Sironar-S's at any focus distance, single cell configurations (476/646) slightly less sharp at high magnification but still produce a gorgeous image)

If you haven't already, see also Kerry Thalmann's list of Future Classics:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm

lenses, the best of best

The very best lens I own is the tripod.

No, I'm not being wierd or strange in saying this. What I mean is that a tripod is what makes any lens sharp. It's what allows me to say that an early 1940's 183mm f/18 Bausch and Lomb Series V Protar(coated) is as sharp under normal B&W working conditions as the latest super 200mm/210mm APO-whatever at f/22. It also allows me to say that a 1960's Schneider 90mm Angulon f/6.8 is just as sharp (within it's specified field of view) as the super marvelous 110mm Super Symmar XL f/5.6. All the way to the edges of a 4x5 frame.

OK, so you want to spend boatloads of money? Yes, modern lenses are wonders of technology. Their shutters are more reliable than the old stuff. And you get the warm and fuzzy feeling that there's nothing better on the planet, even if you can't actually prove it. Using this criteria I like the following modern lenses for 4x5 work:

Docter Optic 150mm f/9 Germinar W, 300mm f/9 APO Germinar (both rare and hard to find in modern shutters, and there are other lenses that I'd like to try since these are so small, light, and brilliantly sharp)

Schneider 110SSXL, 210 APO Symmar

Rodenstock 150APO Sironar-S, and I suspect I'll really like the 75mm f/6.8 Grandagon which I'll get to try shortly

Nikkor 200M f/8, 300M f/9

ANYTHING Fuji ever made for LF, including 135W/EBC f/5.6, 150W/EBC f/5.6, 240A/EBC, 450C f/12.5, and a whole laundry list of wonderful lenses that they've made over the past 20 years.

But to be absolutely honest, there is no such thing as "the best" when talking about modern lenses. All are more capable of producing extremely fine images than most of us are in "seeing" and creating an image.

Really.

Honest.

lenses, the best of best

Last Generation (Kern Swizerland) 14" Goerz Blue-Dot Trigor - equally amazing for 4X5, 8X10, and 11X14. But for 4X5, just make sure the camera is solid enough to take full advantage of this lens' amazing performance!

lenses, the best of best

For general-purpose use, Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S, in any focal length. Why? Rodenstock's particular twist on the modern plasmat delivers an ultra-refined look overall, a harmonious balance of contrast and resolution combined with a rendering of out-of-focus backgrounds that is smoother and, to my subjective taste, more pleasing than that produced by the competing modern plasmat series from other vendors.

I don't have a strong preference in wide-angle designs. The Grandagons I own (75/6.8, 90/6.8 and 155/6.8) are very competent lenses, but don't quite have the magic of the Apo-Sironar-N and -S. I don't lose any sleep over it because I don't use wide-angle types very much.

I've never used a telephoto design.

lenses, the best of best

I also have a 14" blue dot Trigor. I Even use it on my 8x20 and it is an amazing little lens.

lenses, the best of best

The 90/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N always impressed me. I suspect any of the Sironar-S series would also be great.

My Leica 35/1.4 ASPH was the best little lens - so good it almost tempts me back to using 35mm. And I really miss my Hasselblad Zeiss lenses, especially the 100 and 120 CFs.

lenses, the best of best

I am fortunate to have many state of the art lenses, but my favourite is no longer made,,,,,the 120 Super Symmar. An excellent lens with just the right field of view for 4x5 landscape work.