Thread: Class on large format

Class on large format

I have just got a 4x5 view camera and I live in New York. I would like to take s ome class about technical staff (like Scheimpflug rule) but most of the institut ion courses I have been checking out seems to be for people who almost have no i dea of photography. I wonder if anyone knows about more specific courses or want to give me some tutoring?

Thanks a lot.

Lourdes

Class on large format

You're likely to have much better luck with workshops rather than classes. I know Howard Bond teaches one on using the view camera and I'm sure there are others. A good book is also a great resource. Stroebel's is comprehensive, albeit a bit dry. Steve Simmons is very readable. DJ

Class on large format

Have you checked with ICP or the Fashion Institute of Technology about their cla sses? If you have the time and money, the Maine Photography Workshops and the Santa Fe Workshops both offer "good introduction to the View Camera" wee klong workshops. If you bought a Sinar, Sinar publishes a very useful workbook with excercises for you to follow at your own pace by using Polaroid ma terials.

Class on large format

Lourdes,

I took a course in large format this time last year at a local community college that offers an associates degree in photography here in San Diego. The guy who taught it (since retired) was at one time a National Geographic photographer. He was really quite knowledgeable.

You might want to check out the community colleges in the NYNJ metro area. The course isn't offered every semester here in San Diego but does come round on some sort of regular schedule.

Good luck,

RR

Class on large format

The quality of a photography class anywhere depends on the knowledge and enthusiasm of the teacher. Most teachers will go out of their way to help students that show a genuine interest.