Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More 8x10 portraits from my "First 20" series

More 8x10 portraits from my "First 20" series

Henry,

Nice image...

JJ,

"then the question is "why this subject", "why that light", and finally "Why bother?""

If you have to ask that kind of question, well.... with all due respect, I think you've got a looooooooooong ways to go!

Perhaps, one of these days... you MIGHT understand!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I vote anyone who sets up an 8X10 to make a protrait or 2 gets a hearty Bravo! That said, I think I know where jj comes from too. He's like one of those old school teachers that you hated that's always pushing you from OK to excellence by making you ask yourself the hard questions. You're off to a fine start and it will be great fun to see where your journey takes you. Keep them coming!

Jim,

With all due respect to you, JJ was entirely out of place by asking the idiotic quesitons he did. When one says "why bother?" that's little more then being disrespectful to say the least. There is nothing wrong with asking questions, so long as they contribute to something. His were piss-off type, as he's done numerous times before.

I don't mean to take this thread down the wrong path (after all it's about the wonderful photographs that mean a lot to Henry) and I will not follow through on this, not here anyway. The fact is however, that there was nothing in JJ's (whatever his name is) questions, that deserved being defended.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Thanks to all who posted -- and keep it up if you have anything to add or especially pictures to show!

Jim Galli, earlier today I thought along the lines you suggest - that jj might have been provoking a disucussion or playing devil's advocate but I think I'm in agreement with Witold especially about the "Why bother?" part of jj's post. It still seems just plain rude. Now if jj wants to write something here that says otherwise fine by me but I think we will not hear from him in that regard but I am open to and encourage even semi-intelligent discussion.

I do have a couple of small regrets about this thread - that it got soured by what I think we can all assume to be rude comments, but more important that no one else has posted any photos. So is it just a stupid idea to post pictures here? Am I a fool of some sort to bother doing so? Should I just ask questions about shutters or cable releases? My thoughts before my original posting revolved around simply showing my pictures and hopefully prompting others to show us some of theirs.

I'm really amazed that somehow my simple photographs got tangled up in the same thread with the Tomiko Jones pictures that Steve Williams brought to our attention. Man, those are way out there! I feel so avant garde and controversial now!

; >)

More pictures soon.

Henry, you've prompted me to show some of my first shots with large format! Thanks, my friends are getting a little sick of me showing them. :-)

I started my first lf foray with a 4x5 monorail orbit, and did some shots around the house. This is my second or third shot with that camera:

and this one was done about a month ago with the Tachihara 4x5, maybe my 16th shot overall.

Overall, I'm incredibly pleased with the format, but I'm already starting to itch and wonder what an 8x10 contact print looks like. I'm sure I'll be stepping up soon...

Whoops, sorry about the size of the first image...

Henry,

I don't think it's a stupid idea to post pictures here. This forum exists because of the spirit of sharing information with each other. In other words, we learn from each other. That's why I don't feel it's inappropriate for you to be posting images and questions here.

There are some great folks here who are more than happy to share their wealth of knowledge in a hobby that we ALL enjoy. You'll find NO shortage of these good people here!

However, as on any public forum, there are always going to be a few who, for whatever reason, choose to be confrontational and behave in a "less than polite fashion." So, don't take jj's comments personally... they're NOT about you.

Witold,

FWIW, I have to agree with your assessment "unless"... jj is an "absolute beginner with a definitive lack of knowledge in photography." I might even be able to understand his initial question, which could be plausibly valid. Or, perhaps, his question of, "why this subject, why that light?"

However, I don't understand what possible value there could be in his question of, "Why bother?" It can only be deemed acerbic in nature.

Jim,

With all due respect to you as a great contributor here on this forum... I have to disagree with you on this one.

Paul,

Good show!

[Nuff said about jj's comment... Like Witold... I'll not post any further comments on this. ]

Everyone have a safe and Happy New Year!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Paul,

I like your image of "Abigail" the tank. I have a similar one somewhere-----I live a few hundred yards from here in Boalsburg.

Do you live in the area? There aren't that many large format photographers around here.

steve
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Hi Steve. No, I actually live in CA, grew up in Philly. My brother works for PSU, though, and I've been up there a fair amount in the last six months or so. My work takes me around the country a fair bit, so I'm back on the east coast relatively often. I have relatives who have a place in Boalsburg, I think. Boyer would be their last name, I believe. Glad you recognized the shot! :-)

jj, my condolences. Apparently you didn't get what you wanted for Christmas.