Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Ritter's Cameras

Richard Ritter's Cameras

Just recently there was thread about the good restoration work of Richard Ritter. I have had a number of dealings with RR and agree completely with the very positive comments about his work.

It is my understanding that he is working on a line of new cameras. Does anyone know if this includes ULF sizes? Web sites perhaps?
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Richard Ritter's Cameras

Sandy, take a peek here:

www.lg4mat.net/ulfcamera.html

Richard Ritter's Cameras

Sandy,
    I spoke to Richard a few days ago and he told me that he is working on making 7x17 and 8x20 cameras. If I remember correctly he said they would be under $3000.00 and quite lightweight. They should be interesting.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Richard Ritter's Cameras

Richard previewed a prototype of his 7x17 at the last View Camera conference and it was quite impressive.

steve simmons

Richard Ritter's Cameras

Hi Oren, Richard and Steve,

Thanks for your replies.

Looks like Richard has some very innovative desings and ideas. The 7X17 design that can be used in both vertical and horizonatal orientation really caught my eye. I am looking forward to reports from real users. Anyone have a camera by Richard in near completion stage at this point? Could be the subject of an interesting review in View Camera I think?
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Richard Ritter's Cameras

Richard moves along at his own pace but yes we are always on the lookout for new cameras. There are others coming and we will discuss them in the March issue.

Happy Holidays

steve simmons

Richard Ritter's Cameras

Richard's a good friend and almost-neighbor. Last I heard, he'd sent out drawings for bids on parts. Let's remember: Richard lived through the entire Zone VI camera fiasco in 1987-89, and understands the problem with making promises others might not help him keep. So, Richard tells me he'll start taking orders when he's ready to build and ship cameras, and not before.

The camera will take up to 16x20, I think, and rear standards-plus-bellows will be field-interchangeable. The bed and focusing rails are better-than-aircraft grade aluminum, so the overall camera is extremely light, yet rigid.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Richard Ritter's Cameras

I drove up to see Richard last week to have him do some 12x20 work for me. We got into a discussion about his new cameras and I think that he has sold quite a few 12x20's already...or on close order that is. He also spoke about the 16x20 being about 14lbs. From what he says these cameras will be inexpensive, very stable, and very rigid with their tubular aluminum construction. For anyone interested in ULF I think these cameras will be a very welcome option. Emile.www.deleon-ulf.com

Richard Ritter's Cameras

As Bruce said, I don’t want to repeat those years.

Currently I am keeping a list of photographers and the format size. When cameras become available they will be the first to be contacted. After that I will make it known to all that I am taking deposit for cameras.

Now for some good news I have started production, in the sizes of 7/17, 8/20, and 12/20.

Happy Holidays

Richard Ritter
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Re: Richard Ritter's Cameras

I wish I could share in the enthusiasm expressed here about Richard Ritter and his work but I can't. I sent a Zone VI modified spot meter to him for calibration and I am not very happy about ihis work. Before I sent the meter in, I had a couple short questions for Richard that I asked him via email. He never responded to them. Just a few words by him would have answered the questions. Instead, he just sent an abrupt email back saying to send it in with a check for $75. When I got the meter back, it is reading over two stops off! It may be linear in it's readings but it is way off. I used to rate Tmax100 at E.I. 64 with this meter but now I have to rate it at 320! He did not respond to an email by me asking him about this. I didn't even want him to re-do it for free. I just wanted the meter to be properly calibrated. He is the guy who supposedly knows the most about this meter but he did a very poor job of recalibrating it. Also, I cannot excuse someone for being blunt to the point of rudeness with customers. I understand that he, like most of us, is probably very busy but he could at least respond to a simple question. No person in business should treat customers like that but I could accept that if he at least did a good job but, in my case, he did a bad job and he won't even discuss it.

I'll find someone else to calibrate it properly.