Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate digital

I hate digital

"I hate digital"

whats to hate about digital? Its just an inanimate entity which apparently you don't use. Perhaps you mean you hate people who practice digital photography which might make more sense. But that would be bigotry.

4x5 Camera Toting Tourist Nitish Kanabar's Avatar

I hate digital

I guess I'm lucky that I've had quite pleasant conversations with people when shooting with my 4x5 camera. It is a conversation starter and I usually allow folks a peek under the ground-glass - that always makes them smile.
    Nitish Kanabar

I hate digital

i always get good reaction when i go in the city with a wooden 4x5, especially from girls! do you have any other antisocial peculiarities apart from hating the overwelming majority of other photographers (those who use digital)? if you are interested in positive social interaction perhaps you could get some kind of professional help.

I hate digital

I have mostly positive curiosity. As has been stated I always offer a look under the cloth. Most say that's cool. If they ask if it's digital I tell them yes, I use my digits to turn the knobs, or it is a variable density 8x10 inch 1 pixel camera, then I pull out a holder and say look at the size of the compact flash. It's only one but it's a bigun. I shot nothing but digital for 4 years, and now have gotten back into LF. If some dork just wants to impress his girl at my expense I can and will chump him big time.

I hate digital

Ken Lee wrote:

Recently someone came jogging by, and advised me in mock compassion: "You don't have to do that any more: They have digital cameras now !".
    The appropriate response would have been, "You don't have to do what you're doing either...they have cars now!"

I hate digital

My only gripe with digital is that my local "Pro" supplier no longer carrys L/F film, chemicals or paper. Now I mail order everything. Wherever I look at my friends or sister-in-laws digigraphs I'm the one that's laughing.

I hate digital

Doug, Thanks for the GREAT singing Christmas card...Richard

I hate digital

Digital has its place in the world. It's a tool like everything else. What you do with the tools is what matters, not the tool itself.

For me, using high end digital has taught me how to make better scans from my 4x5 and 8x10 sheet film. Digital gets me out with a camera when I wouldn't normally want to take one out the door (Nikon S1 Coolpix when walking my dogs). Digital has made me lots of money (Nikon D2H, and soon Nikon D200) because clients need quick returns on their projects.

LF film gives me peace of mind and wonderful joy, because when I use LF, it is my time, my creativity, and my fun in connecting with the world.

Recently I was standing in the snow for about an hour waiting for the late afternoon light to get good on a scene. There I was with my big Ries tripod, KB Canham 8x10 lightweight wood field camera, and a Nikkor 800-mm lens trained on a farmers field with alternating rows of corn and snow. Many cars swept past with out stopping. Then a large service van stopped (plumber's or electrician's). The driver got out, walked to me, and pulled out his Nikon 950 Coolpix digital camera with a smile. He said "I know my camera can't do what yours does, but the scene is so pretty I want to remember it and want to thank you for pointing it out to me."

It was nice that my photography got someone to stop to "smell the roses" without even seeing the finished print. For that working guy in his winter overalls I made a difference and we shared a wonderful moment because he had a digital camera. He knew his image wouldn't match mine, but he enjoyed photography to carry a camera on the job for moments like this. The moment made standing in the cold very worth it.

I hate digital

The appropriate response would have been, "You don't have to do what you're doing either...they have cars now!"

Laughing out loud - Excellent !

I hate digital

I've had nothing but positve interactions from people. Most are very curious and want to look through the glass. Especially at popular locations like the Grand Canyon etc. Others want to shoot with their digicam from where I've set up, assuming it must be a great spot for this guy to set up this big camera there. I usually let them step in front of me while I'm adjusting this or that. The only time I had a near negative comment about "why don't you just get a digital camera like everybody else" from a guy, his wife corrected him before I did. Only after she explained the benefits of large format did I add my 2 cents worth.