Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate digital

I hate digital

I've been a large format user for a while now and apart from the sheer build and beauty of a wood view camera I enjoy the whole considered process of taking a picture with this format. I'm so use to seeing a large focusing screen that when I blew the dust off my mamiya for a shoot the other day I felt like I was peering through a key hole. The thing is when other photographers clutching their plastic fantastic hi-tech digi cameras see me using a huge wood view camera on a mother of a tripod they ask why bother and think I'm a bit mad. Has anyone else had a negative reaction, friends laughing, or people thinking your just plain nuts for not keeping with the times and turning into a digital fanatic

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I hate digital

Not so long ago at a major Colorado Plateau tourist location, I had a guy mock my use of a view camera to his girlfriend and other onlookers. He had a cheap digital camera, and commented with a chuckle that I couldn't afford and wasn't sophisticated enough to use the latest digital. Although most people I meet in the field are polite, positive, and supportive, I've had several other spectators make somewhat derogatory comments about me being stuck in the 19th century, as though my use of a view camera must be because I'm ass backwards or overly nostalgic, not because of the awesome quality of the images produced. I don't even bother trying to explain to these folks my reasons for using it. It's amazing how many ignorant yahoos are out there.
    Brian Vuillemenot

I hate digital

There is a time and a place for digital photography. Rarely (IMHO) is that time and place in the world of art. I illustrated my last four books using digital cameras. No way shape or form was I going to blow through two hundred sheets of 4x5 or 5x7 film on a project where the largest image would be 4" wide and badly reproduced at the printer who gave the publisher the lowest bid.

The digital does a passable job for shooting color snaps at family gatherings. I have a Canon Rebel XT with an 8.2mp CMOS sensor, so it makes nice images. Again, nothing that ever came out of it even closely resembled art except when my 14-year-old son was using it. That kid gets amazing things out of it.

But for "real" photography, give me my 5x7 Toyo every time. Hopefully, I soon feel the same way about my 810M as well. I never developed a love affair for the 2D. Don't know why.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I hate digital

Never. I guess I should consider myself lucky. On those occasions when I've been out in the field with a wooden view camera and somebody has stopped to say something, it has always been some sort of remark about how cool it is and/or friendly and very reasonable questions about it - what do you take pictures of, what kind of film does it use and where can you get it, what kind of lens do you use, things like that.

I hate digital

It's a lot of tun to go out with the old Speed Graphic once in a while and blow a few sheets of film "shooting from the hip"

But the "Look at Jimmy Olson" joke started to get old after hearing it 20+ times...

I hate digital

Quite the contrary I find most onlookers to be polite and curious. I nearly always offer a peak under the dark cloth, which nearly always rewards me with a gasp and sigh and a "wow!" from the newly introduced. The bloke you met with the digi sounds like an insecure little f*rt trying to look tough for his girlfriend. As clever as a smart come back might be, I'd recommend ignoring the dude. He has His agenda and you have yours---to take great photos(I hope!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I hate digital

I always got mixed comments. Most people were always quite impressed when they saw my 8x10 all set up. The negative comments usually came from teens and twenty-something people. I heard "haven't you heard of digital yet?" so many times from them. But they don't know. They don't even know that there is such a thing as LF photography. I teach digital photography in my graphics class to high school students. I ALWAYS brought in my 8x10, lenses, holders and a few negatives for them to look at (this was before I had everything ripped off...I still haven't replaced anything...I've kept my sanity by printing negatives that have never seen the light). My biggest challenge with these kids is getting them out of the "I'll fix it in photoshop" mindset. So, I can't wait until I've replaced my gear and can get out there again, taking pictures and educating the public!

I hate digital

I think I met the same jerk at that major Colorado Plateau tourist location! I wanted to throw him over the rim and tell his young daughter what a ........ he was.

I hate digital

I hate digital whining and rants.

Doug Dolde

I hate digital

Yeah quit whining. Watch this and get some spirit

www.reuters.hu/card_dom/index_content.html