Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

Hi All,

About 8 months ago, I bought a Shen Hao HZX45AII from Badger. It has been a good camera for me to learn on, I have no real complaints other than in some places the build quality is a little lacking for me. Over the last few month, I have also gotten a Cambo monorail, and have been using it for some architecture work. Though for most things, I have been still been using the Shen Hao. Recently, a friend of mine decided to sell his Toyo 45AII, and he sold it to me for almost nothing (less than half the cost of a new Shen Hao). So at the moment, I have three 4x5 cameras sitting here.

I am very impressed with the quality and feel of the Toyo, seems like a very nice camera. My friend hardly ever used it, sat mostly in the box since he bought it in Tokyo a few years ago, its virtually brand new.

I am thinking about getting rid of the Shen Hao, and keeping the Toyo for my field camera. I am just curious, if people think this is a good idea or not. I will be keeping the cambo for the movements and the stability. Having a real hard time making up my mind.

Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Gary
    Niigata, Japan

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

I have a Toyo 45AX (same as the AII, but with the manually-rotated back). The only thing I miss is the ability to use a bag bellows. If you aren't using a bag bellows with the Shen Hao, you may not miss that feature.

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

I use the Toyo AII and have touched the Shen once. On paper Shen has considerably more movements thus it's more versatile. As you have noticed however, its built quality does not compare to the Toyo. As Ralph mentioned, if there is anything in the Shen that you use frequently (or makes you question the idea of getting rid of it) it migth be a keeper. I think if I had to make that decission, it would be based on two more factors:

1. does the Shen meet my needs in situations that the Toyo cannot handle (or do I need to get something of better quality)?

and/or

2. do I need the cash ? (I'm not sure what the resale value of it is)
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

Gary, nothing says you can't own 3 LF cameras. Many, many of us own 3, or even more. Funny coincidence: the only one of mine I ever managed to sell was the Shen-Hao. Perfectly nice little camera, I just needed more bellows.

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

I have had a Toyo 45AII for the last 11 years. It is a extremely stable camera.

The only thing i could wish for would be a longer bellows draw. Toyo have

an extender solution, but it is bulky and relativly expensive.

The basis construction is very well made.

I use the camera with a 65 mm Nikkor-SW with a 1 inch depth wide angle board

and the movements is still quite usable, but beware of getting the camera bed

in the picture.

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

I would go for the Toyo.
    Toyo 45 CF | Sinar P | Sinar F2

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

Having gone through (in roughly chronologival order) an old Calumet (the old Kodak I think) Two Sinar Norma Expert, a Linhof Color, a Linhof Technikardan and my present 4X5 somewhat upgraded Arca Discovery, I recommend NEVER SELL ANYTHING. I wish I had all of them back along with the 19" red dot artar, the 120mm Goerz Berlin Dagor, coated and in a new Compur a 120mm Super Angulon and that's only part of the list. I miss them all!

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

Hi,

I want to thank all of you for helpful replies. After thinking it over, I am going to keep the Toyo and sell the Shen-Hao. After playing with both of them side by side, there is very little in the way of movements that the Toyo is lacking, which would affect me. I don't have the bag bellows, so I won't miss that, I might miss rear rise, but thats about all, I think I can manage without it.

As much as I would like to keep all three of the cameras, one must go, otherwise my wife will be removing and selling my vital organs. I can use the money for more glass, film or and 8x10 a little later.

All I need now is the Toyo Field to Linhof Adapter board. Since both the Shen and Cambo use Linhof boards, I really don't want to change lens boards if I can avoid it.

If any body has a lead on a used(or cheap) one let me know, BH wants 150 for a new one, so used would be the best way to go.

Again thanx for all the helpful replies!

Gary

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

"All I need now is the Toyo Field to Linhof Adapter board. Since both the Shen and Cambo use Linhof boards, I really don't want to change lens boards if I can avoid it. "

if you are patient and keep looking on ebay or at the used store listings, you should be able to find one for about $65-70 or so. Might take a month or so though
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Toyo 45AII vs. Shen Hao

One caution, the adaptor will further reduce the flexability of the camera with wide angle lenses. Another option is to get the front standard swapped out for an AII-L front standard which uses the Linhof/Technika boards. The swap will cost you a bit more than the adaptor but will be well worth it if you use lenses in the 65-90 range with frequency.