Thread: New Camera, Great Service, Thought You Should Know

Dave Karp

New Camera, Great Service, Thought You Should Know

Some of you might remember helping me out with a question regarding several field cameras I was considering. Well, I finally did it. Midwest Photo had a used Walker Titan SF 4x5 for sale, along with the bag bellows, at a very good price. I called Jim, and a few days later, the camera arrived at my humble abode.

Before I talk about the camera, let me say some nice things about a couple of people I have been in contact with regarding this camera lately. After the camera arrived, I had a question and e-mailed Jim at MPEX. He contacted Ted Bromwell, who gave him the answer, and Jim responded to me within a few hours. I had some more questions, so I decided to go to the source: Mike Walker. Despite the fact that this was a used camera, and did not add to his sales, Mike answered every question (at 11:30 p.m. his time), and then some. In addition to answering my questions, Mike offered to give my camera a cleaning and check-up free of charge (other than the shipping cost). He also offered to supply a GG protector at very little cost, and a Fresnel without charge for the installation. All this for a camera that was already sold, and a customer that made no extra money for him. Jim has always performed honest and straightforward answers to my questions and supplied outstanding equipment to me at reasonable prices. Mike Walker’s offer is also an example of the kind of customer service that is not easily found anymore.

Regarding the Titan SF, it is a really nice camera. The fit and finish is superb. The parts fit together perfectly. It is quite rigid, even when racked out all the way to accommodate my 450mm Fujinon C. The camera is equally comfortable with my 90mm lens. The camera is also quite good looking, in a utilitarian, industrial design sort of way. The hardware is stainless steel. I have been thinking about a field camera for a long time. With just a few days to play with it so far, it looks like this camera is everything I could have asked for: Attractive, durable, rigid, with plenty of extension, and lots of movements. I intend to write a complete review once I have more experience with the camera

In the meantime, thanks to those on the forum who gave me advice a while back, and thanks to Jim and Mike for helping to make the LF world a better place.

And now, since the semester is over, and all my grades are turned in, I plan to make a few photos before the start of spring semester. If I am lucky, there might even be enough time to develop them!

Seconded on the mpex.com accolades and Jim Andracki.

I wish more people who buy Ebonys (for example) bought them from MPEX; it's an actual bricks-and-mortar store of the kind that needs our support to survive (the more often-mentioned Badger is a mail-order/online-only operation). And yet buying from MPEX doesn't need to be a sympathy purchase; for example, their price on Ebonys is usually as good or better than at Badger. (Nothing against Badger, esp. for things MPEX doesn't sell.)

Probably a matter of the squeaky wheel getting the grease; looking at the low-key mpex website you'd never know they were one of the biggest Ebony dealers anywhere. (They're also a good source for ink for the larger Epson printers.)

Glad your purchase went so smoothly, and good luck with your new camera!

They don't come much better than Midwest Photo. I've had great service every time I have dealt with Jim.

Dave,

Just a quick post from someone who has been using a Walker Titan SF happily for
    five years - congratulations. It's a great camera...

-Bill H.

I happened to be at MidWest Photo a few weeks ago and saw the camera you bought. It was my first look at a Walker and I was very impressed. It's too bad this camera doesn't get more promotion and publicity than it does, it deserves to be ranked up there with the best of them I think. And ditto about Jim and MidWest. In addition to the service and prices that are at least as good as anywhere else, I've found that they give very generous trade-in allowances.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Dave,

Welcome to the Mike Walker Fan Club; as I've mentioned before, I also have received extraordinary service from the man, with ultra-rapid response from England here to California.

The feature of the Walker Titan SF I have come to appreciate the most is the accommodation of a 450mm lens, without excluding the superwides at the other end of the bellows. Plenty of cameras can't do that.

I wish Mike made a general use 5x7, or even an 8x10, then I could send him some more money...

Dave Karp

Hi,

CXC: Thanks for your prior posts regarding your Titan. Without them, I would have had a bit of trepidation before making the investment. If I recall, you even popped your Fuji 450 on your camera to see if it would work as a response to one of my posts. It is hard to believe that Mike Walker, who is not a tool and die maker, made the tools for the injection mold himself! I worked in manufacturing for a while, and the parts of Mike's camera fit together better than parts we received from tools created by professional tool makers. And, in response to one of my questions, Mike Walker told me that I should wash the camera (not the bellows) with soap and water! Try that with a wooden camera!

Brian: The more I look at the camera, the harder it is for me to believe that more people don't use them. Jim was in Japan when I e-mailed him regarding the camera. He responded from there, and gave me some feedback on the camera. Based on this, I asked him to put it on hold for me until he came back, which he did. He kept in touch with me while he was gone, and e-mailed me when he returned home. Just great communication. By the way, I am glad you did not buy the camera! It is a good thing that I live in CA. If MPEX was nearby, I would be in real trouble. I would, however, like to meet him in person someday. And yes, Jim has also given me very reasonable prices for items that I have sold to him.

Bill: I am sure the camera is not perfect -- none are. Nevertheless, I think that I will be very happy with this camera. Thanks for the congrats.

Ralph, Robert and everyone else: I agree. There may be others as good, but I have experienced none better than Jim and MPEX.

The camera I bought was rated a 9, I believe. If I look hard, I can find a few imperfections, but if I received the camera in this condition from Walker directly, I probably would have accepted it! It is much like the lenses and bag bellows Jim has sold to me. All were used, but look brand new.

I third the accolades for Jim at Midwest. I have purchased LF from numerous places around the country and Jim is the easiest and best to work with. Great attitude and service, great prices and great used product.