Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, down to two...150 or 210 ?

Ok, down to two...150 or 210 ?

All,
    As some may recall, I just began my forray into the 4x5 world - and am trying to pick up my first lens. I have the chance to purchase both a Rodenstock 150mm f/5.6 Sironar - N, and a Rodenstock 210 f/5.6 Sironar - N. The seller is asking the same price for either lens. The problem arises in the fact that I can only afford to purchase one. So which one to get ? They both are in mint shape, and I suppose that the 210mm is a slightly better deal (as it is a more expensive lens). However, being as I usually do out-door type of stuff, Im just slightly concerned about not having a wider lens to keep me content for a while.

Flip a coin perhaps ?

Thanks again,
    Steve

Steve, whichever you get, you will soon regret it. That's just the nature of the human psyche. Personally, I'd get the 150 - you can always crop the negative.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I would go for the 210mm I almost never use a 150 its just to normal for me. But its your desicion! You need sooner or later an wider one thad would then be in the range of 90-110mm!

You should consider filter sizes the 150mm will take a 49mm while the 210mm will take the 67mm.

The 150mm is a Copal 0, the 210mm is a Copal-1. The 150mm is my least used lens, I find it 'flat' in terms of perspective. This is not surprising for me as it sits between my SS-XL 110mm and the Sironar-S 210mm in my kit, both of these lenses are gems and can be used (carefully) with 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 (at a stretch for the 110mm).

Many people will advise you to get the 135mm for a single lens system ... If you're anything like me, it won't be the last lens you get. After starting with the 150mm, it was quickly joined by a 75mm, 210mm, 90mm, 110mm, 450mm and then a 305mm. My favorite three are the 110mm (SS-XL), 210mm (Sironar-S) and the 305mm G-Claron ....

Good luck !

IMHO, the wider would be my choice for close up, more intimate shots like rocks, trees, buildings, etc. The longer would be my choice for grand landscapes like mountains, river valleys, that sort of stuff. At least thats how I seem to use my lenses YMMV. OTOH, I don't see much difference between a 150 and a 210 as 150 is not really wide enough to make a difference. A lot of people don't see much need for anything other than a 210mm, even with more intimate subjects. and that make sense to me too----my current 4x5 optic of choice is a 203mm f/7.7 Ektar---if it were the only 4x5 lens I owned I think I could do quite nicely with that lens alone.

Go with the 210mm, Lad!

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Steve,

As this is your first foray into LF, I wouldn't spend much time evaluating your initial lens decision. Any of the lenses mentioned above would be fine, the main point is to get out and shoot with the camera, and get comfortable with the LF process and 4x5 aspect ratio. Then you'll get a better feel as to which lenses you prefer.

A good starter lens set is a moderate-wide (110-135mm) and moderate-long (210-240mm). If you pick the 150mm initially, you may end up selling or trading it in later once you are ready to purchase your second lens. But this is just speculation; at this point, just follow your gut. You mention concern that the 210 may not be wide enough, so if an attractively priced moderately wide lens is not available to you, then get the 150 and start taking pictures! The nice thing about LF is that there is a vibrant used market via Ebay, Midwest Photo, etc., so if you need to sell or trade-in lenses in the future, you can do so with relatively little financial loss.

Steve, Try to think of what lenses you plan to add in the future. The 150 is good for a 90,150, 240. The 210 for a 75, 110, 210, 300. But of course there are many other possible combinations, and you can always resell a lens if you determine you have another preference.

It really depends on what types of subjects you intend to shoot.

Eric Woodbury

my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

These two focal lengths are close neough that it really boilds down to personal taste, how you "see" and so forth. Both are quite suitable for a variety of work.

To assist in your selection, you might try walking around with a framing aid to see which focal length fits your visual preference more often. The knots are tied at the focal length choices, and held to the cheek while looking through the 4x5 opening (with one eye closed). What you see is what the film would see.

I started with one lens, a 150, mainly because that's what the camera came with as a package. I don't regret it at all.

If you tend toward large landscapes -- wide vistas -- then the 150 will probably be a better choice. Also, as mentioned, you can crop the film to get the POV of a longer lens, but you can't add what isn't on the film.

Also, you've already stated a concern about not having a wide enough lens.... so you're more likely to be content with the 150. Anyway, it'll keep you happy longer than the 210. Get the 150.